advertisement

Who are the best Rega dealers?

zenpmd

pfm Member
I am surprised how many dealers don't seem to know what they are talking about. I am looking to buy an RP8, and I want to put an Audio Technica (AT33 or similar) cart on it, but need advice about matching and what not. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

The compliance of the cart should match the mass of the arm fine - is that what you meant?

Arm height adjustment can be an issue with Rega arms. However, you can get arm spacers (Rega themselves make them) if the rear of the arm needs to be raised (I doubt it will need to be lowered).

Would help if we knew what part of the world you are in.

Otherwise maybe Paul Darwin [Rega] may chip in.

Hi, don't know where you are based but Doug Brady in Warrington are very good and deal with Rega kit. Mark.

The compliance of the cart should match the mass of the arm fine - is that what you meant?

Arm height adjustment can be an issue with Rega arms. However, you can get arm spacers (Rega themselves make them) if the rear of the arm needs to be raised (I doubt it will need to be lowered).

Which is the sort of thing a good dealer should be able to advise on and sort out. I get where the OP is coming from on this.

There is no problem using the AT on an RP8. A shim may be needed to raise the arm slightly and this the Rega stockist will do when setting up the turntable.

I know you aren't asking this but why an AT rather than a Rega cartridge? The Apheta comes at a deal price with the RB8. My preference would by the Rega as I find AT MCs a little mild! And you know it would fit.

I just trust Audio Technica and was listrening to fremers cartridge files and i liked the top end at better than the ortofon black MC and assume that to be better than the rega

Seriously?

That's exactly what I thought. AT cartridges 'mild'? To my ears they are typically hi fi cartridges.
But then a very experienced dealer, who has probably heard as many varieties of cartridges as anyone else in the UK, casually remarked to me : ''95% of all cartridges are just awful...awful.'' That took me aback, but on reflection could be about right if you want to listen to music and not 'hi fi'.
And the better samples are not all very costly either. In fact very pricey cartridges are among the worst offenders, bright, aggressive, unnaturally detailed.....you'll never hear that sound when listening to live music.
There, got that off my chest. Too much of 'hi fi' is just unnatural sounding. A few decent cartridges, Shure 97xe (£70), basic Ortofon SPU, wooden bodied Grados. There are no doubt others but I haven't heard them. The 'worst'....probably Lyra, to my ears. All detail and little music. Too many brands fall into the 'loads of detail, all in your face' trap.
I should imagine a good dealer could install something nice on the Rega. But it depends what you want...hi fi or music. Quite rare to get both, sadly. Spending loads of cash usually makes it worse.
Bit of a challenge. And this being audio, you may hear things quite differently.

The AT's work well on the Rega arms. I currently have a 33 ptg II on my P9. I would however suggest you listen to the Apheta 2 as well.

That's exactly what I thought. AT cartridges 'mild'? To my ears they are typically hi fi cartridges.
But then a very experienced dealer, who has probably heard as many varieties of cartridges as anyone else in the UK, casually remarked to me : ''95% of all cartridges are just awful...awful.'' That took me aback, but on reflection could be about right if you want to listen to music and not 'hi fi'.
And the better samples are not all very costly either. In fact very pricey cartridges are among the worst offenders, bright, aggressive, unnaturally detailed.....you'll never hear that sound when listening to live music.
There, got that off my chest. Too much of 'hi fi' is just unnatural sounding. A few decent cartridges, Shure 97xe (£70), basic Ortofon SPU, wooden bodied Grados. There are no doubt others but I haven't heard them. The 'worst'....probably Lyra, to my ears. All detail and little music. Too many brands fall into the 'loads of detail, all in your face' trap.
I should imagine a good dealer could install something nice on the Rega. But it depends what you want...hi fi or music. Quite rare to get both, sadly. Spending loads of cash usually makes it worse.
Bit of a challenge. And this being audio, you may hear things quite differently.

I agree the Ortofon Black is like that. And the frequency response backs it over, just starts rising after 10khz.

Seriously?

Yup.

Not the last word in dynamics. They might be a bit bright- if thats what you're thinking I saying they aren't. But they aren't exciting, ergo, mild. I will trying to think of another adjective and miss off the !

I wasn't trying to be controversial. I like dynamic, I have a (London) Decca.

I was wondering why the best fit cartridge wasn't on the OPs shopping list. Thats all.

Moorgate Acoustics. Very knowledgable, friendly and honest. I'd also second the above advice to give the Apheta2 a try.

advertisement

Back