Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

White noise problem

Discussion in 'audio' started by ks.234, Apr 8, 2021.

1. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Given an old pair of speakers, Topping Amp and an Audio Alchemy Dac-in-the-box to my son to connect to his newish Samsung TV using an optical cable. All he gets is white noise.

He seems to have connected all the wires properly and set the TV to Optical output, but still just white noise that will go up and down in volume when volume on amp turned up or down

Any suggestions?

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Is there any option but optical?
    If there is, worth a try.

3. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

What about TV headphone jack > Topping > speakers. He will then have remote volume control via TV remote.

ks.234 likes this.
  4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Unfortunately not

5. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Try another optical cable?

6. ABCaudio

ABCaudio Trade: ABCaudio, representing EWA

It could the DAC isn't locking on. There should a setting on the TV somewhere where you can check the format it's outputting at the digital output. It has to be PCM.

Although I don't understand why the volume would track in this case.

7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Tried that, no difference!

8. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Does the 'locked' sign illuminate on the front of the unit?

9. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Does TV have menu option to "downmix Dolby to PCM"?

Millennium likes this.
  10. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Two lights come on, on the dac, one for power and I presume the other is for a signal?

11. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

As suggested above, does the tv have digital output format in its menu settings as an option? It needs to be set to PCM if so. Other than that, are there any other devices with optical out that can be used to test that the setup actually works?

webster, Cav and Wilson like this.
  12. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

I believe so - which would rule out the optical cable being faulty in any way.
    I use the optical out of my tv (which is probably around 10 years old) into a Node 2i and it's true you need to make sure that it's set to PCM.

13. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Model number of TV would help.

Try setting TV to digital audio output as PCM and the sound output to the TV speakers, unplug optical cable, plug back in.

I think Sammy outputs at 48kHz, those old AA DACs go up to 50kHz so that should not matter. I don’t think they had a manual switch for CoAx or Toslink, it should auto detect.

14. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

That’s what I thought. It’s a Samsung 43 Inch UE43TU7000KXXU Smart 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR

15. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

[​IMG]

ks.234 likes this.
  16. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Now Sorted! Thanks to all you wonderful people. Thanks to @Amber Audio we finally managed to find the option for selecting PCM. Had to reset all the sound options to make the PCM option appear in the drop down box, it reappeared like magic and my boy now has sound!

Many thanks everyone

webster, Amber Audio and martin clark like this.