advertisement

White Noise Power Amps

Jennifer F

pfm Member
Hi,
Has anyone here got any experience of bulding any of the white noise audio power amps? how do they compare sonically with Linn and Naim's higher end products? I would really appreciate feedback from any one with experience of these units.
David

Hi David
I have a White Noise Active Psu driving Avondale NCC200s on my bass amp on an active system. The treble amp is driven by an Avondale Cap6. The merits are the Active PSU delivers an extremely controlled fast bass response but I preferred the cap6 on the treble as it was more open. Dr White says there is little difference between his capacitor input psu and an Avondale cap6. The active crossover (WNA) is driven by a cascode psu. In my opinion either of my amps would better a Linn or Naim.

Clive

Clive,
Thank you for the feedback. I currently have Linn Klimax Solo's which I think better the avondale by some margin, however I am using a number of WNA parts in my pre amp which I think slaughtered the Klimax pre. I also have an array of super regs and other bits and bobs in there. This makes me think that there is scope for a power amp project. Like you I really want o take my system Active, there is no way that I am going to invest in another pair of Klimax solo's. I just wish that I could build a DIY project that looks as nice!
David

I cannot answer your question directly but I have built a WNA head amp and also the phono stage and they are quality bits of kit.
I have no reason to believe that the power amp wouldn't also be very good and in fact when I get round to selling my valve amp I will be making up a WNA power amp.

Hi David
Dont underestimate the Avondale bits they may not have the grunt of your Linns but they are one of the nicest sounding amps around. Why not use the Avondale for your treble amp. Regarding the cases too many people buy hundreds of pounds worth of electronics and put them in a shoe box. Nice boxes can designed and made for not extortionate amounts. But I am a bit biased as I make all my own cases.

Clive

Clive,
I will post some pics of my current pre which is not bad looking shortly. It is currently undergoing a few upgrades, once done I will post. I have seen a few sites in the US offering nice cases and also a potential in the UK for machining a case for me. I don't have workshop space at present else I would just build it myself as I have the skills, just lack the tools / space /time.

I will have to investigate the Avondale again before I make any decisions. I have an Avondale modified Arcam which is a very impressive machine, that said it does not keep up with my Burmester, but then it is not fair competition.

Spacejay, I am considering parting with my P75 and migrating to the WNA phono amp as I am not 100% happy with the P75, in some ways I am missing my P100.

David

Hopefully here is a picture of my treble amp
CopyofDSC_0089.jpg

Clive

advertisement

Back