advertisement

White Album 50th

Is the vinyl SQ really that good? There seem to be a lot of tracks per side (I know the Beatles often had short songs) which in my experience leads to compressed sound quality.

Also where is the cheapest place anyone has found to buy the vinyl - best I can see currently is £37.99?

First off, I think the White Album is a wonderful record. On the vinyl, there's no obvious excessive compression. The vinyl sounds excellent...for the White Album. It hasn't morphed into Jazz at the Pawnshop, but it has lost some of lean, 'bleached' tonality that the album in all its guises previously had. For me, after listening to this, it makes going back to any other version difficult. The team also seemed to have learned a heck of a lot since the Pepper remix, this one is rather less heavy-handed (not that I dislike their work on Pepper).

I'm not sure it's a bargain per se, but The Beatles White Album box set is currently £99.99 here on Amazon.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm not sure it's a bargain per se, but The Beatles White Album box set is currently £99.99 here on Amazon.

Wow, this has just been delivered. Lavish isn’t the word.

On second thoughts, it probably is.

Later: I’ve finished listening to the BluRay stereo version and it is pretty remarkable. All sorts of stuff I have never noticed before - no idea if that is down to the remixing, remastering or just general tidying up. In comparison the SQ of the 1968 mono version (also on the BluRay) is laughable.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Mrs bought me the box set with the Esher demos, ( not the one with the cd’s/ blu rays) for Xmas. Whilst I’ve not had a chance to listen to it yet, the package, liner notes etc all seem very decent. The Michael Fremer review of it is an entertaining watch.

I got the 3CD Box Set with the Esher Dems in my stocking. Not listened yet.. but lookng forward to comparing an 80's repress, the D'Agostini re-press and the CD triple. I have no original Beekles stuff. I never saw the point at the time. Everybody else had it. I bought less obvious stuff... :mad:

I too, got this for Xmas - only listened to disc 1 but concur with the consensus; they've done a great job.
The imaging seems the big winner to me; a far broader soundstage.

I bought the 2018 2-LP set last week (the one without the Esher demos) but it's only now that I've gotten round to giving it a clean and playing it... and although I'm only on side 2, I think it sounds fantastic. It seems to have retained that slightly gnarly sound that you just don't get on a Steely Dan record but yet, it still sounds crisp and clear so I think Giles got it spot on as far as that cul-de-sac is concerned.

In my mind, that's two vinyl hits out of two: the 2017 Sgt. Pepper's vinyl release sounds great as well. Fingers crossed Abbey Road makes it three out of three :)

I love the idea of the Hi Res PCM stereo 24/96 format, but i really want to hear it on my Rega dac, rather than the one in my decent Bluray machine. It's a Cambridge Audio.

However, when i connect it up to the Rega, it downmixes the sample rates to 16/44 instead. This is the PCM 2 channel feed.

Would all dacs do this for copyright reasons? Would love to hear via the superior dac.

Might have to buy the HD download as well.

I love the idea of the Hi Res PCM stereo 24/96 format, but i really want to hear it on my Rega dac, rather than the one in my decent Bluray machine. It's a Cambridge Audio.

However, when i connect it up to the Rega, it downmixes the sample rates to 16/44 instead. This is the PCM 2 channel feed.

Would all dacs do this for copyright reasons? Would love to hear via the superior dac.
I believe so. I think the only way to do what you want to do is buy an HDMI demux box (or something) for a couple of hundred quid to bypass the protection.

Sorry to hijack this post. By the way, the White album deluxe version is superb, the book is great and all the sonic extras a joy. Decent value at £100 for fanatics.

With regards to my earlier post, when using a separate dac connected up to a bluray player via coaxial, in an attempt to max out 2 channel advanced resolution formats, ive found the following occurences:-

SACD - does not carry over to the other dac at all.

Dvd Audio- full resolution is carried over to the other dac.

Bluray PCM- resolution is carried over at 16 bits only.

Hi res downloads -full resolution is carried over to the other dac.

Shame i cant exploit all those 2 channel PCM formats in the Beatles and Pet Sounds boxsets.

Some blu ray players, such as the Sony UHP-H1, can and will output downsampled SACD audio via coax digital. Of course, it goes without saying that you get full resolution, as it were when using the analogue outputs from a blu ray player.

You should be able to extract the hi-res content with a BluRay drive for a computer and software such as DVD Audio Extractor. (I say “should” because I’ve only done this for DVDs, not having a BluRay drive for my PC.)

advertisement

Back