1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

White Album 50th

Discussion in 'music' started by matt j, Oct 19, 2018.

1. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Have I missed the thread for this? If not what's people's thoughts?

I'm too young to have any decent Beatles releases, I bought the 50th Sgt Pepper's last year and it's ok, The White Album is my favourite of theirs though but I'm tempted to instead put the money towards a nice first pressing rather than this latest version.

What do we think?

2. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

I understand that Beatles band were ok in their day. But a lot of it sounds very dated now.

Rockmeister likes this.
  3. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

A lot of now sounds very dated.

Mr Cat, neildalton and mikechadwick like this.
  4. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

5. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

I’m certainly interested in owning the 3CD version of this. One of my favourite Beatles albums but a remix from masters could do wonders (particularly for the drums). Of course it then all depends how much compression is used on the final mastering. Generally the Beatles re-releases are not brickwalled.

.sjb

6. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Giles has previous when it comes to mastering music too loud (INXS, Sgt. Pepper's blu ray) so I'm going to wait till I hear the word on the web before ordering a copy myself.

7. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

[​IMG] [​IMG]

50th White Turntable

8. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

9. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

Weekender likes this.
  10. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Well I decided to go for the CD copy in the end and it arrived today. It sounds fantastic so far, really looking forward to the Esher disc.

Sloop John B likes this.
  11. neildalton

neildalton pfm Member

This extended collection of White Album recordings is absolutely terrific.

12. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Stunsworth likes this.
  13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I listened to all 6 ‘discs’ yesterday on a long car journey. Excellent, the Esher demos especially.

14. Tin

Tin Well-Known Member

So how is it compression wise?

Edit: as I don't have a turntable I'm more interested in the digital version. The analogplanet review doesn't like that. Makes me wonder.
    Edit 2: I just looked at the price. I'm not that interested anymore.

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Not bad. There’s obviously some compression, but a track like Julia opens up well with its beautifully double tracked vocals.

I’ve not compared this to the original mix, but it seems to sound better at both end of the spectrum.

16. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

I got the vinyl today. It sounds great, but more importantly it has made me really listen to this album again. There are some duds, obviously, (though even Bungalow Bill sounds good) but the good songs really stand out and sound as fresh as they did the first time heard them. It's a really nice package too.
    I wonder if Giles Martin is going to work on Abbey Road?

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I’d have thought so, I’m looking forward to that.

Apologies if it’s been linked to before, but there’s a YouTube video of Martin discussing the project. A bit long, and there’s the obligatory group discussion - none of whose members are old enough to have been alive in 68, but the first half hour is interesting...

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

What, 15 quid?

19. Tin

Tin Well-Known Member

€ 136, 99

20. matt j

matt j pfm Member

The 3 disc CD gets you everything you need, the Deluxe set is just for the collector who must have everything, and it comes with a hardback book.

Tin likes this.