advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being dragged out to Lidl for some heavy lifting this morning presented the opportunity to try these two.
£16 each iirc.

Sets me up for an interesting sub £25 peated blend match tonight.

Last edited:
2 decanters arrived the other day, all thanks to Graham (@LecsonQuad) on these forums :)

Just filled one today, need a bourbon for the other (not that JD Rye crap I bought :D Got a bottle of JD Gentlemen Jack arriving tomorrow.

Never tried this Aldi Speyside I've bought, so will report back.

A few new bottles delivered today. The Arran Sauternes is a replacement of a bottle I really enjoyed. The Lagavulin you will know, I am sure. The Ledaig is a great find, going down rather well!

a5b4d194919a853575912dbebed2a3364e5164d3_2_375x500.jpeg

I've got the 2 of those 3. The Lagavulin is of course superb (and still my "go to" whisky) but the Ledaig I'm not 100% sure on yet. I don't have that Arran but the one I do have I like, so would be interested to hear that that one is like.

I've got the 2 of those 3. The Lagavulin is of course superb (and still my "go to" whisky) but the Ledaig I'm not 100% sure on yet. I don't have that Arran but the one I do have I like, so would be interested to hear that that one is like.

Same. Never had an Arran, they're in my wish list

Just open this for a try this evening:

171564459.ppAKLCQK.jpg

I bought it partly because it was cheap in an Amazon sale (for £22 I think, which it's still at) and also because the distillery is close to the house in Tomintoul (at 6.5 miles away it's only about half a mile further away than the Tomintoul distillery).

Very much an easy drinker and pretty sweet (as would be expected given it's sherry cask finished) so might not be to everyone's taste. Well worth £22 IMHO but not sure I'd pay the £32.95 that MoM want for it.

Being dragged out to Lidl for some heavy lifting this morning presented the opportunity to try these two.
£16 each iirc.

Sets me up for an interesting sub £25 peated blend match tonight.

Just broken open my £16 bottle of Abracan. It is an obvious confection and given the price and resources available to the blender the better for it. There is clearly some young spirit in the mix and some smoke and a lump of peat. The overwhelming presence though is sweetness, 50 shades of it. If it was possible to distil spirt from a Chirstmas cake base, I imagine it would taste like this, there is even a hint of glace cherry. Bourbon drinkers wanting to try smoke and peat would be well advised to start here.

I'll be drinking it all night, it is fine.

2 decanters arrived the other day, all thanks to Graham (@LecsonQuad) on these forums :)

Just filled one today, need a bourbon for the other (not that JD Rye crap I bought :D Got a bottle of JD Gentlemen Jack arriving tomorrow.

Never tried this Aldi Speyside I've bought, so will report back.

Had one very small dram last night just to test (had been supping red wine and for me, the 2 never mix well)...

It's actually very nice! For £16; it's bloody good TBH

I'd put it alongside the bog standard Glenlivet or Tamnavulin in the early £20s...

It's sweeter, but has a good depth of flavour and there's a good kick of toffee apple in it for me :D

Had one very small dram last night just to test (had been supping red wine and for me, the 2 never mix well)...

It's actually very nice! For £16; it's bloody good TBH

I'd put it alongside the bog standard Glenlivet or Tamnavulin in the early £20s...

It's sweeter, but has a good depth of flavour and there's a good kick of toffee apple in it for me :D
That's encouraging. A friend gave me a glass of Aldi Islay a while ago, I found it rather overoaked. Not so the Speyside?

Couldn't really say TBH...

It is trying too hard; but that's what you'd expect at this price range...
True enough. I took up your recommendation of Black Grouse earlier, I needed something to get to £20 and Amazon free delivery, so I clicked on that. Otherwise delivery was £5, so the whisky is effectively only £11 for that bottle. Obviously.

True enough. I took up your recommendation of Black Grouse earlier, I needed something to get to £20 and Amazon free delivery, so I clicked on that. Otherwise delivery was £5, so the whisky is effectively only £11 for that bottle. Obviously.

You poor dear :D Such a martyr ;)

Enjoy it...

Gentleman Jack arrived today... Lid/neck smashed, but hardly leaked any as it was in one of those air-tube protective packs (so god knows how it's happened); anyways, sent Amazon a pic with it and they've sent me a replacement...

I've sieved the other one so there's no glass left in it :D

You poor dear :D Such a martyr ;)

Enjoy it...

Gentleman Jack arrived today... Lid/neck smashed, but hardly leaked any as it was in one of those air-tube protective packs (so god knows how it's happened); anyways, sent Amazon a pic with it and they've sent me a replacement...

I've sieved the other one so there's no glass left in it :D
Oh dear, if only you had a decanter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back