advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banana flavour is dominated by an ester, which one I forget. See also pear drops (ethyl ethanoate) etc. Esters are formed from alcohols and acids, they are very common in alcoholic drinks.

Edit: isoamyl ethanoate, aka isoamyl acetate.
https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/taste-banana-flavors-in-whisky/
This made me feel slightly better about my palate since I do get banana on bourbon but have not had Irish* nor Japanese...I exclude Nikka From the Barrel as it is largely Ben Nevis.

*several waiting to be opened.

One of my favourite German beer styles is the dark wheat beer (Hefeweisse dunkel), which has a significant banana aroma.
I've had this in Bavaria. I was left in charge of the beer menu, my pal came back.
"Have you ordered then?"
" Yes, we're having Dunkel weisse bier mit hefe. "
"What's that then?"
" Well, it's a wheat beer. It's a dark beer. And it's got yeast in it. "
"Sounds all right. I don't think we'll go wrong with that" .
He was right, it was very good.

I've had this in Bavaria. I was left in charge of the beer menu, my pal came back.
"Have you ordered then?"
"What's that then?"

I used to live in Munich and very much like their beers (in fact I had a load of Augustiner Helles and Edelstof arrive as a birthday present yesterday, as they are my favourite beers) but never got much of a taste for Weissebier - especial the Dunkel version. Although I do like Blue Moon and that's a wheat beer.

"Have you ordered then?"
"What's that then?"
Most places only have the 'helles' (pale) Weissbeir on draught, the dunkel usually comes in bottles. But IIRC, you're more likely to find the dunkel on draught in Bavaria. Used to go to a trade show in Friedrichshafen (northern shores of Lake Constance) and stay in a local town near a microbrewery. Theirs was excellent.

I tried the SMWS "Roasted Chestnuts and Spicy Hot Dogs" bottling last night. Despite being all of 66.9% alcohol it wasn't the brute I was expecting, quite the reverse in fact (and I didn't try it with water) as it seemed quite a sophisticated and complex dram and very enjoyable. I'll need to re-visit it to get a better idea of the flavours etc. however I left the glass out overnight and this morning it was very much citrus and vanilla notes plus some burnt wood that was coming over.

I've decided I'm going to go with 5 whiskies and a straightforward "Regions of Scotland" theme (excluding Cambeltown as I don't have anything from there yet anyway) for the first blind tasting with my kids and was thinking about this as a list:
  • Lowland: Auchentoshan American Oak (40% ABV, NAS, first fill oak casks)
  • Highland: Edradour 10 (40% ABV, 10 year old, bourbon and sherry casks)
  • Island: Arran Amarone Cask Finish (50% ABV, NAS, oak and Amarone casks)
  • Islay: Lagavulin 16 (43% ABV, 16 year old, oak casks)
  • Speyside: Balvenie Carribean Cask (43% ABV, 14 year old, oak and rum casks)
As well as the regional theme I thought there was also some discussion to be had about the effect of the type of barrels used as well.

I had a small Seaweed and Aeons last night. I left the glass by my bedside and when I awoke in the morning I thought my house was on fire. The smell of smoke from the glass was very strong.

Monday has been a booze free day for me for a while now however if I get too many more work days like today I might re-think that!

Monday has been a booze free day for me for a while now however if I get too many more work days like today I might re-think that!
I'm with you!

'F**k Sake No F'in way' Screamed by y11 yr old pupil on discovering I was supervising him and his class. This was followed by him lifting a chair and swinging it at me, calling his classmates cnuts, throwing snacks around the room and trashing the store.

Thankfully the Snr Management and school SENCO took him off to 'The Den' for hot choccie and calm words...

My resignation is imminent lol.

Wee Beastie is lovely. Starts a little sweet, I taste dates and raisins. On to smoke,creosote licorice, and a leatheriness bitterness. The finish is bright and salty

20210305-231803.jpg

I had a bottle of that arrive yesterday. I'm keen to try it but won't open it until I finish at least one of the other open bottles (currently at 36!) first. Thankfully I've a couple that are close to that now, so hopefully won't be long.

I'm with you!

'F**k Sake No F'in way' Screamed by y11 yr old pupil on discovering I was supervising him and his class. This was followed by him lifting a chair and swinging it at me, calling his classmates cnuts, throwing snacks around the room and trashing the store.

Thankfully the Snr Management and school SENCO took him off to 'The Den' for hot choccie and calm words...

My resignation is imminent lol.

The little snot goblin should have been taken onto the school field and beaten for insubordination.

The little snot goblin should have been taken onto the school field and beaten for insubordination.

Turns out he'd asked a female member of staff 'Are you the old lady who sucks off wee boys?'

Quite extraordinary that we cannot shift these kids out of mainstream and give them the support they so obviously need before they are re integrated to reality.

Turns out he'd asked a female member of staff 'Are you the old lady who sucks off wee boys?'

Quite extraordinary that we cannot shift these kids out of mainstream and give them the support they so obviously need before they are re integrated to reality.
Its enough to drive you to drink.....

That is one big advantage of a private school (which is where my wife teaches) as the kid would be booted out immediately & permanently for that sort of behaviour. I know that just pushes the problem elsewhere (and my wife has also taught in some of the schools that you'd perhaps have to actually murder someone to get permanently expelled) but I would rather my kids education (and my wife's stress levels) weren't being damaged by the school having to deal with that stuff.

I'm currently eyeing up a 13 yo Signatory Port Dundas Single Grain. I need to finish my Rebel Yell Small Batch Reserve first.

I finished the little that was left of the Bowmore 18 and then moved onto the Highland Park Dragon Legend. I'd had the latter down as one to get through and not be replaced but I'm quite enjoying it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back