advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
just had a bottle of Penderyn Madeira Finish Single malt (welsh whisky). Has to be one of my favourites to date. On offer at sainsburys at the moment - £27 instead of £37

I have a litre bottle in box, unopened, of Chivas Regal (a blend, I believe). It was 10 years old when I bought it in 1999 or 2000. I'm very unlikely to drink it, as I'm not partial to scotch, and anyway, have an opened bottle which hasn't been touched for a decade or more.

I know nothing about whiskies, and haven't seen this brand on the shelves for years. Is it any good?

I was offered a bottle and I didn’t like it. I’m into pitted single malts and I found this just good enough to make cocktails or for cooking.

I have a litre bottle in box, unopened, of Chivas Regal (a blend, I believe). It was 10 years old when I bought it in 1999 or 2000. I'm very unlikely to drink it, as I'm not partial to scotch, and anyway, have an opened bottle which hasn't been touched for a decade or more.

I know nothing about whiskies, and haven't seen this brand on the shelves for years. Is it any good?

Chivas Regal is a blend and very good if blends are your thing. Whisky doesn`t age in an unopened bottle so it is still 10 years old in whisky terms.

Opened bottles do deteriorate though so your other bottle may well be less good than it once was.

I’m massively into my peated whiskies currently;

I see your Ardbeg Corryvrekan and raise you two more. :)

Ar0kWnD1t5d7C28tou4yOMDaWNzdT8NGp_tP2jfCo3fAoHQ3JmMj0ZbDDmD4JUqf6GVegCZHU_ACRYIHfQ_X9PS59pEq436g9bn6rHc5UiZ7jNFQ5PrspOJouTot-1QvGT3N2Toa7xzeaV4aNVyLpcy7ftu0bDPJ3awdruXMxrOHI7hho2ch3xIMcUAaXEJocegDDA_pqH0q1R1Es9t0TwNlwxIRQxb6u5NSVpPG_XdYW2C_Xglcf5G5KodJ4Oe9IWlRLVzysd93psBye4Oegvtrs_zNllEgqUyjHT8JTnWzvWZRLaQpco0IhRi_PKSQMPqapurmglr0QcBW6o3DvmBGr3auMZviwQuaOFYXrhWUVkI-txYBth-Li_HQPj2SMrM7xQp6vt5V1cnZU9ZfZM-dx647LOmXO5gWK5z4Ni05C_-MmSP-8V9YRvSrpYiWbl5X8IHMV-eZ5TQ1-FzyE7NePUKOKceMUfdK3sGsN0pKY9TSbo510FSCbcTK4R67Nl_MtYEd3sf6OvvZWRHTnYv6SS0EZxvYshHSg2T3WLe-ZxHKdz3PEg-WB1S8BG2GOONXkd3Xpg_pSQDPDnb5tdkB5HdeDYaglocUngPuXXn_mWcyTc--WWXQN8tiQqt6PMRqQCzQ6Tz3wb0d-rgkSgz8p0faSaHmvszReMMAT4h4j5ti1aH3xQ=w392-h695-no

The glass is important, as is rinsing it out leaving a thin film of water in it.

I would heartily recommend anyone who thinking about Nikka from the barrel, it was my pick in 2017.

This year I am thinking about pushing the boat out and going for a bottle of Ohishi Sherry Single Cask Whisky. Its distilled from rice and matured in sherry casks. Anyone have any experience of what sounds like a different presentation from the usual Japanese whisky?

Latest addition...

db795687a0bcea854ac15f3ad75ef6a388efcd4e_2_375x500.jpeg

Bunnahabhain Caorag. 'Relatively Heavily' pleated for a Bunnah but nice sweetness and balance.
Islay peat and Sherry, my favourite combination!

Get me to Morri's pronto. I like Bunnah.

Note - is this the "proper" stuff? I ask because some of these promo whiskies aren't the "normal" brand.I bought a Bowmore on promo, £20-odd a bottle special edition and frankly it was crap. They had clearly got a pile of Bowmores that weren't up to the usual standards and chucked them in oak casks for a while before coming up with this as a "special edition". It was no better than Aldi Black wotsit, and that's only £11 a pop.

It's a 'non-age stated' but I took a punt last year on an Amazon lightning deal around the same price (as did others on PFM) and it's very nice indeed. Usually a shade more expensive than the 12 yo (although the rec. retail is less than 12yo) but no better nor worse, just different.

Get me to Morri's pronto. I like Bunnah.

Note - is this the "proper" stuff? I ask because some of these promo whiskies aren't the "normal" brand.I bought a Bowmore on promo, £20-odd a bottle special edition and frankly it was crap. They had clearly got a pile of Bowmores that weren't up to the usual standards and chucked them in oak casks for a while before coming up with this as a "special edition". It was no better than Aldi Black wotsit, and that's only £11 a pop.

Might you be referring to Bowmore No.1? If so, I’d agree it’s very ordinary for something so expensive. Their 15yo Darkest is currently £40 on Amazon. That’s a very nice drop.

I think it was Bowmore No 1, yes. I thought it was a rather cynical cashing in of their name to dispose of some less good whisky that they should have sold on in the trade for blending. However that would have meant a financial hit. I think that their brand manager wants shooting for this, I'm staying away from Bowmore now. I like Islays too, along with the likes of Talisker, Jura and Oban and the other Highlands/Islands malts. They have successfully turned off at least one member of their target market.

I`ve never been a big fan of Bowmore and this sort of thing certainly doesn`t encourage me to try again. I like all the other Islays a lot though.

We went on the Bowmore tour some years ago and it was all very organised with actual guides rather than just someone they could spare at the time. We were told a poor joke at one point and I was amused later to overhear another guide on the next tour telling the same joke at exactly the same place.

By contrast, the next day we visited Caol Ila and were given a personal tour by the manager and ended up sampling the product with him in his office looking out at the Paps of Jura.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back