Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Whisky

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, May 19, 2019.

1. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

£120 max with £40 to £65 being typical for the majority.

2. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes pfm Member

..and ...

Has anyone figured out which Islay distillery the Aldi Glen Marnoch comes from ?

3. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

Have spent £100 in the past. If I know I liked something from a tasting I would probably go higher, maybe £200 but my typical max is around £60/70 with a range from £20 upwards. Typical stock:

Jack Daniels
    Johnny Walker Black
    Johnny Walker Green
    Woodford Reserve
    Caol Ila 12
    Deanston 12
    Laphroig Quarter Cask
    Lagavulin 16
    Ardbeg 10
    Ardbeg Corryvrecken
    Port Charlotte MRC:01
    Nikka Whisky from the Barrel

4. cutting42

I have just ordered a bottle of the Caribbean Cask on the strength of this, sounds amazing and Masters of Malt liked it as well.

My "always in" list is posted above this but top 3 reasonable price are:

#1 Lagavulin 16 - To me the best, best value whisky ever, love the punch and length and all those medicinal tones.
    #2 Ardbeg Correvrecken - used to be the regular 10 but the Corre is just another level and such great value at the moment
    #3 Johnny Walker Black - I know, I know but it is always reliable, easy enjoyable drink, the best value for money blend to me. Can mix it without feeling like a heathen and drink it neat all night.
    #3.5 Nearly got the nod over JWB but the Woodford Reserve is a lovely bourbon fantastic value and just a great everyday dram.

5. MVV

MVV pfm Member

This is an old style cable thread before the reality set in. Me I just stick to Springbank because it reminds me of sailing the west coast. Or something cheap on offer.

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I generally go for the special offers at under £30. I might go to 40-50 for a treat. As for JW black, it's £25, maybe a bit less. No way, not when Aldi black is very similar at under £15 and £25 gets you Ardmore, various Speyside singles or Jura routinely on special.

7. Somafunk

Somafunk Well-Known Member

Hope you enjoy it cutting42, I do recommend getting a box of medjool dates to munch on between sips.

cutting42 likes this.
  8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

At the moment the most was £90. A Glendronach 18. Usually £20 to £45.

9. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I don't have a top three. I keep a range, typically between 15 to 20 bottles which are ones I like. My tendency is to favour peaty ones, without sweetness. In my opinion, multi cask production; rum, madeira, port and some sherries has edged the general flavour profile towards sweetness- which I don't like.

as for a max per bottle- probably close to £200.

10. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Above a certain price point it becomes less about the intrinsic quality of the spirit and more about supply and demand. The trick is to get in there before everyone else drives the prices up.
    As an American whiskey lover I've found the sweet spot for everyday sippin' whiskey to be £35-£50 by shopping around. I like to enjoy neat and avoid anything diluted to 40%. Barrel/cask strength is where the good stuff is, but harder to get good deals over here since they tend to keep the best stuff for themselves.
    I'd pay up to £100 for a good barrel strength.
    My current best value top three keeping me sane under lockdown are WT Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel, and 1792.

Weekender likes this.
  11. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

There are many great malts at sane prices. There are some even better (more complex) ones at £80+, though higher prices most certainly doesn't always mean better quality. Springbanks are malts I keep returning to. One aspect of higher price stuff is that often it's cask strength so this skews the value comparison a little.

I usually avoid anything bottled at 40%. 43% to 46% is ideal for myself. I can add a very little water or take it neat at 43% / 46%. 40% restricts my water option and often isn't quite the right strength balance for my preferences.

hifilover1979 likes this.
  12. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Things might have changed since my reading of Andrew Jefford's Peat Smoke and Spirit but my money would be on Caol Ila.

13. cutting42

Very true, I am reminded of the best whisky I ever tasted, Ardbeg Lord of the Isles. When released it was around £80 but rapidly climbed to £2-300 and now is around £2k. I only ever had one dram in the middle of Sweden, me and my work colleague spent our joint dining allowance for a glass of it and have never forgotten the experience. If I could get it for £2-300 I would spend the money no question.

gintonic likes this.
  14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Typically £40-50, but always on the lookout for sub-£40 bargains (so I can be a bit spendier at the top end). I've spent £90, and that felt like an extravagance, but as I'm considering dipping a toe into the world of Octomore, that might have to be adjusted, mentally, upwards.

I tend to favour Islay malts, but that's because I don't know many other regions' offers that give the range of character I find in the Islay varieties. I also like peaty malts and dislike sweet ones. One non-Islay malt I do like very much, and it's a 'normal' priced one, too, is Edradour. I think it's probably classed as a Speyside. It's a bit darker and richer than many whiskies, and it has a cosiness to it that I really like, without being bland or 'safe'.

15. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

The most I've paid so far was £108 for a discounted bottle of JW Blue - I think that's the only time I've paid over £100 so far. This year my plans are to buy fewer but better bottles, but I still think I'm unlikely to spend more than say £150 on a single bottle.

I've got something like 30 bottles at the moment so am also considering going to a one in, one out, policy as space is becoming a problem.

16. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

What's the Port Charlotte MRC:01 all about
    compared to the standard bottling?

17. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

That's my plan and current problem...currently have 15 open bottles. :eek:

hifilover1979 likes this.
  18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'd read similar but don't be confident it's exactly the same stuff. I once made the mistake of buying Bowmore No 1, it was bloody awful junk, overoaked and cheap. Clearly they had swept up as much cheap spirit as they had, thrown in a few feints and tailings probably, and chucked it in oak barrels to disguise its general poor quality. It was horrible. Any distillery will have the good stuff and the stuff they send for blending and or third party bottling. Some of this second string stuff can be good, but some very definitely isn't.

19. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

£250 for me, it'd have to be a very special bottle

Average spend is £50 to £100 though for bottles to enjoy

Unless it's an every day supping whisky then £20's generally my limit

20. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I am surprised to see Jack Daniels on that list only because my one taste of it saw me handing it back to my chum. Now the aforementioned chum is a serious heavy metal fan and is almost religious in his devotion to certain things Rock oriented including JD, ‘the drink of rock’ according to him. He only ever drinks it with coke and now I understand why, it really was not to my taste drunk neat which is how I like whiskey.

I like Jameson’s and their Black Barrel is very moreish. I also like the less smokey Scottish malts but my limited contact with Japanese whiskey has left me unimpressed, however I have only tried a few. I currently have a Cotswold Whiskey which is not bad, apparently their aged ones are pretty special. I live in Oxfordshire so it’s a Royston Vasey variety of whiskey - ‘local whiskey for local people’.

On the subject of how many bottles you have open at any one time, how long can you realistically expect an opened bottle of whiskey to be OK?