advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just finished one of the Jura malts, very nice. I fancy a blended next time, heard great things about Aldi Highland Black at about £12-13. At that price I can make Old Fashioned with it or add ginger if it's not much cop.

First timer recommendation of Glenmorangie 10 year. Nice mid price with a decent flavour but not too much either way.

If you've not tried it ASDA are doing Whyte & Mackay 13 yr old blended for £18 - give it a go, I think you'll be surprised.

If you are a Malt beginner looking for something a bit easier to get into then I'd try something from the Lowland region.

Glenkinchie is very nice as are many of the Auchentoshans, In days gone by I would have recommended a Bladnoch but it is becoming a bit tougher to find the older ones - so get yer hands off :D.

There's now a Kingsbarns distillery and it looks like it is getting good reviews.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't clean my cutlery with Glen Moray and as for blends, they're reserved for my mother-in-law who like to pour coke over it. There are exceptions but tend to be as expensive as a Single Malt so I don't bother.

Euan

These are my ‘go to’s’ currently; the Tar Very Much has just landed though and that’s being saved for a week away late June ;)

I’m massively into my peated whiskies currently; I actually haven’t got just a normal supping whisky; although I’m going to order some this week and not spend a lot either, probably something like Vat 69, Copper Dog and maybe something like Old Pultney’s ‘Navigator’... That’s a lovely drop; salty whisky ;)

Tasting report on Aldi Highland Black: it's very good. Not overoaked, plenty of peat and a bit of liquorice in there. Reminds me of Grouse Black and some of the west coast malts. 8years old and proper 40%, not the usual 37.5 watered down piss. Recommended.

............................I'm sorry but I wouldn't clean my cutlery with Glen Moray and as for blends, they're reserved for my mother-in-law who like to pour coke over it. There are exceptions but tend to be as expensive as a Single Malt so I don't bother.

Euan
What is the absolute minimum you would clean your cutlery in?

I’m massively into my peated whiskies currently; I actually haven’t got just a normal supping whisky; although I’m going to order some this week and not spend a lot either, probably something like Vat 69, Copper Dog and maybe something like Old Pultney’s ‘Navigator’... That’s a lovely drop; salty whisky ;)

I've just read an article in Science Reporter which said that some peated whiskies can be poisonous to people if consumed on the wrong day of the week. I feel it is imperative that I undertake a study of drinking the whiskies in your post to ensure they are safe on every day of the week. I know this is at great personal risk to myself, but it is for the greater good as I explained to my wife.

I have not met anyone who likes both whisky and bourbon equally, usually a drinker of one and not the other.
A little like vodka and gin, tends to be polarised but I have met the rare exception for this one.

These are my ‘go to’s’ currently; the Tar Very Much has just landed though and that’s being saved for a week away late June ;)

Lovely, Bunnahabhain is a favourite, I have the standard 12yr, Toiteach a Dha, the PX edition and just finished off the 18yr.

The PX is lovely, Sherry casks just add something special with Islay for me, the 18yr too.

I've just got a bottle of the Port Charlotte MRC:01 but I've not really explored it yet. I do love the new bottle design though.

My favourite 'everyday' whisky is the Jonny Walker Double Black (with a lot of Caol Ila in it), the Caol Ila 12 and actually the Benromach 12 too.

I have not met anyone who likes both whisky and bourbon equally, usually a drinker of one and not the other.
A little like vodka and gin, tends to be polarised but I have met the rare exception for this one.
We’re out there...I started on Irish blends, then single malts, Scottish blends, American, then Japanese

What a night that was

My daily sipper tends to be bourbon

I'm a huge fan of both; bourbon is my summer drink TBH, whisky for over winter... Don't know why, but that's how my palate tends to be. I quite like a large bourbon with a chunk of ice, I'd never do that to whisky though!

My bourbon collection is a little thin currently; but will stock it soon. I've a bottle of JD Sinatra Select on its way; I've a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel in the dresser (although it's nearly done) and I've this Woodford Reserve on it's way to me too: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/20297/woodford-reserve-double-oaked

Lovely, Bunnahabhain is a favourite, I have the standard 12yr, Toiteach a Dha, the PX edition and just finished off the 18yr.

The PX is lovely, Sherry casks just add something special with Islay for me, the 18yr too.

I've just got a bottle of the Port Charlotte MRC:01 but I've not really explored it yet. I do love the new bottle design though.

My favourite 'everyday' whisky is the Jonny Walker Double Black (with a lot of Caol Ila in it), the Caol Ila 12 and actually the Benromach 12 too.

Yeah; the Double Black is very good drinking, too good TBH, slips down too easily haha :)

I caved in and opened the Tar Very Much; couldn't help myself. It's a stunning drop...

Going to order a decent bottle for our family week away later on in June, my Dad's not a fan of peated whisky, so my brother and I will buy a decent 25 year old sherry/port cask malt; that'll shut him up :D

JD isn’t bourbon, and the ryes are rye whiskies

It isn't, but it's still called bourbon, as they all are, usually to those that like to drink it, but not fully understand it :) Go into any normal bar and ask for a bourbon, they'll give you JD No.7 or Jim Beam White Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back