advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I wouldn't recommend a £48 bottle of Lag as a first time drinker... As great a bottle it is, it's too complicated for first timers IMO

A simple Auchentoshan American Oak at c£20 would be a good starting point, or Aberlour 10 year old etc; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auchentoshan-American-Single-Scotch-Whisky/dp/B00IOBU6HE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=34DMS92SVM6PT&keywords=auchentoshan+american+oak&qid=1558344314&s=gateway&sprefix=auchen,aps,137&sr=8-2

Very easy drinkers but flavoursome and with character; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aberlour-Double-Matured-Single-Scotch/dp/B008SJ4FTW/ref=sr_1_7?crid=34DMS92SVM6PT&keywords=auchentoshan+american+oak&qid=1558344357&s=gateway&sprefix=auchen,aps,137&sr=8-7

Aye but the guy will go round the houses and spend a fortune then he'll buy the Lag:D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Oops, whisky, no e.. Sorry!
I like Southern Comfort but that's about as close to whisky as I've ever got, and the only whisky I've ever tried was (I think) Jamesons, which I couldn't drink.
I'll have a look to see what miniatures I can find and give them a try as a starting point, but I assume the better ones are not sold in such a way..
Irish whiskey is just muck compared to Scottish single malts, not liking Jameson's doesn't mean you won't like the latter. Just get something in a bar.

Try a bourbon. Maker's Mark is easy sippin'. Note that it calls itself 'whisky'. That should get the pedants knickers in a twist.

Like what you want to like. I'm personally not keen on bourbon whiskey whether that is regular JD or Gentleman Jack, Jim Beam or Makers Mark etc.
Therefore, I'm guessing if these are to your taste you may not like the Scotch variety or the Irish.

I so like Southern Comfort mixed but drink it as a stand in for Ponche Cabellero mixed (7up).

This is nonsense. You are not comparing like with like. Blended Irish whiskey Is no better or worse than blended Scotch. And how many Irish single malts have you tried?
Indeed...I have a very nice Redbreast single pot Irish nestled between my Grendronachs, Talisker, Caol Ila.

This is nonsense. You are not comparing like with like. Blended Irish whiskey Is no better or worse than blended Scotch. And how many Irish single malts have you tried?
Several. Actually they were alright, thinking about it.

Glenlivet 18 year old is the best single malt I have tried but it is pricey.

Best bargain out there is the Co-Op own label Highland Single Malt (allegedly made by Dalmore).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back