Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Whisky

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, May 19, 2019.

1. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Might not be Laphroaig then!

2. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

I didn't get Laphroaig on my first dram the other day, will investigate when it gets opened again! Maybe more like Ardbeg or Bunna perhaps?

Right, I couldn't decide which to go for, so there was only one course of action. The Kilkerran was the heavily peated at cask strength, which was only 3 quid more. And all three from a local wine merchant, which feels much better than buying off of Amazon...

[​IMG]

hifilover1979 and Weekender like this.
  3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Just got a bottle of Bunna Stiuireadair for my dad for fathers day, for £30.67, and a bottle of Moine seemed to somehow, and entirely accidentally (!) fall into the basket for £33. Not had that one before so look forward to cracking the bottle open soon.

Cambs12 likes this.
  4. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Excellent - where's local to you?

hifilover1979 likes this.
  5. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

Moine is lovely, on my third now. Great value, enjoy!

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  6. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

I'm about 20 mins north of Cambridge, and Cambridge Wine Merchants are one of the nearest decent wine & spirts shops. They have 5 or 6 shops within about half an hour, including 3 in Cambridge itself. Mostly the prices are above what you would get on amazon, but I paid less today, and it's really nice to go to the shop itself, rather than delivery.

7. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

They sound very handy to have close by.
    It may pay you dividends to build up a good relationship with them...along the lines of "I'm really into these Springbanks...Will you be getting any of their special releases in?"

Cambs12 likes this.
  9. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

Good thinking!

10. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Bloody good going!

Wish we had someone like that local...

The best shop I know which is very un-local is the Whisky Box in Dunkeld... The guy knows his stuff there ;)

11. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Cambs12 likes this.
  12. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

IV use is not recommended..

doctorf likes this.
  13. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

might have to have a look after I have finished at the University on Friday afternoon. Staying a couple of nights in town.

in the mean time I am tucking into this

[​IMG]

hifilover1979 and Cambs12 like this.
  14. mjw

mjw pfm Member

15. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

I miss being able to just walk into a shop in Cambridge to chat with someone about whisky and then walk out with a recommended bottle. In addition to the Wine Merchants, there is also a Robert Graham, which have a decent selection, including their own bottlings. I haven't yet found any place with anything beyond the usual supermarket brands here in Exeter.

16. hifilover1979

17. mjw

mjw pfm Member

@hifilover1979 , still showing available for purchase at that price with delivery 2 July - summat to look forward to.

18. hifilover1979

I have no patience :D

19. hifilover1979

20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member