Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Whisky II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifilover1979, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

2. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

3. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Cambs12 likes this.
  4. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Springbank releases next week...expect disappointments and we won't be disappointed.

5. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Anyone got any SWMS recommendations (my preference being peated and on the stronger end of the spectrum, i.e. ~60%+)?

6. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    hifilover1979 likes this.
  7. HarryCrumb

HarryCrumb pfm Member

I'm only just starting to get a taste for whiskey and I know nothing about it. I'm off to Tiree on Sunday for a couple of nights and there is a small distillery there that I might try to visit. Does anyone have any idea if it's a decent tipple? Would be nice to have something to warm me up after surfing.

https://www.tyreegin.co.uk/whisky

8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

From a brief scan it looks like they are not ready to release whisky yet (it must be at least three years old).
    They sell a Speyside in the meantime* and you could sample their "new make" spirit or gin.

*Expensive for what it is imo:
    https://www.tyreegin.co.uk/product-page/tmf-10-single-malt-scotch-whisky

HarryCrumb likes this.
  9. HarryCrumb

HarryCrumb pfm Member

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll be able to pick up a bottle of something in Oban, on the way out.

10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

HarryCrumb likes this.
  11. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

Avoiding the Oban branch of The Whisky Shop, scandalously overpriced tourist traps.

HarryCrumb and Weekender like this.
  12. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I was asking for JTC...:) He's after a Peated cask strength SMWS

hifilover1979 likes this.
  14. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

“Normally we don’t care for Highland Park”???

15. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

It's tricky to recommend SMWS stuff as it often sells out quickly so the ones I have can't now be bought, so I can't recommend one I've actually tried. Also none of the current Islay ones are over 60%, so if I did have to pick one myself at the moment I'd either go for:
    - 108.52 (Allt-a-Bhainne) Beef Stew Barbeque
    - 93.180 (Glen Scotia) Goatmeal

Anyway I'm currently enjoying a dram of the 2012 Whisky Cellar House Malt - lovely.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  16. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

hifilover1979 and Cambs12 like this.
  17. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Thanks! Some good suggestions :)

18. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

It was only a matter of time. What a cheap wreck of a turntable. Grave reservations about his cueing action. Maybe it's because the Hand Artist is left-handed. Surely a left-hander would approach the TT from the other side...unless they have Obama's style. And that would mess with the composition.
    Lazy marketing - "dunno - stick it in front of some vinyls*"
    https://www.aberlour.com/en/our-whisky/11-year-old-scotch-whisky-oloroso-sherry/

* sorry.

Worse still - it says "Oloroso sherry casks" and then "aged in first fill ex-bourbon." o_O The latter is correct as it's a new 11yo release and a diversion from Aberlours's usual style. Colour in the glass looks all wrong for bourbon.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  19. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Ah sorry, missed that bit

Just spoke to my brother @JTC and he's got this and highly recommended it:

https://smws.com/frolics-on-the-machair/

20. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

That Revolver looks like it came out of a skip

Weekender likes this.