advertisement

Whisky II

Current price of the GS strikes me as very fair for a good strength, ncf 15 yo. £45 seems an absolute bargain if it’s the same batch.

I was lucky enough to try a Dornoch Distillery single cask last night at a local bar. Still quite young at 4-5 years old and I would say fairly spirit driven in a good way. Very good nose, palate slightly more muted. Followed this up with a fiery Glen Grant 22yo from G&M that was just opened so will hopefully settle down with some time but still shined with some peaches and summer fruits on the palate. Final dram of the night was an Ardeg 8 yo committee for discussion, decent peated dram.

Any advice for sending samples to continent? Ie) what to label it as? Its just the one but want it get to the person without a customs interception.

I just ordered more Caol Ila 12. Not well reviewed stuff and underwhelmed me at first. I bought it to tick it off the list and help identify some no name Islays I enjoy.

It's grown on me, hugely and has become my default for the last few weeks.

I can't really explain why and I can see why many find it's subtlety dull. It might just be that it has all you expect from Islay without any one element shouting.

And, its cheap;)

I just ordered more Caol Ila 12. Not well reviewed stuff and underwhelmed me at first. I bought it to tick it off the list and help identify some no name Islays I enjoy.

It's grown on me, hugely and has become my default for the last few weeks.

I can't really explain why and I can see why many find it's subtlety dull. It might just be that it has all you expect from Islay without any one element shouting.

And, its cheap;)

I think it's a great whisky and a good way to get into the Islay stuff without it being too 'in yer face' like Ardbeg can be thought of

The Kilchoman I have is a great dram and for me, would be a good follower to the Caol Ila 12

Ardbeg and a few others can be and are fun but they can also be a bit Katie Price…rather too obvious. Caol Ila can be somewhat easier to live with.

That's the cheapest it's been for over two years...so yes daft.
I'll be demurring btw. :D

Deffo not a £110 bottle! It's a great dram but not that great

It's getting stupid now, Laga 16 at £75; Glenfarclas 25 now at close to £200 (or just over) in a few months. I bought that back in Dec from Dunkeld Whisky Box at £125!

I missed the price increase on the Glenfarclas 25, that's well over double what it used to be from just a few years ago and their 17 yo sitting in its place at around the £100 mark.
A pity, for many years Glenfarclas turned out brilliant whisky at very good vfm prices, compared to, for example, the massively overrated Macallan.

I paid about £100 for my Glenfarclas 25 and it's good value at that sort of money, but not at £200.
£100 is exceptionally good for a 25 YO whisky, given that many 10 YO expressions will now set you back north of sixty quid.

£100 is exceptionally good for a 25 YO whisky, given that many 10 YO expressions will now set you back north of sixty quid.

Just checked and I paid £99.99 on Amazon about a year ago - somewhat better than the £188.93 they want now.

advertisement

Back