Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Whisky II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifilover1979, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Will do. I loved the Arran Amarone finish, sadly unavailable now, and am hoping the Bodega offers something similarly memorable. I'm not a huge fan of sherry finishes, I find them a little sweet, but I'm prepared to risk it, because Arran.

2. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Iirc there were 39k of the batch 6 and it was restocked at least once so you'll probably get another chance... fingers crossed.

jimbob75 likes this.
  3. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Has anyone been to the Campbeltown Festival?
    Has anyone wild camped nearby?

4. cj66

cj66 pfm Member

Aha, is there a rum thread already?

I'm pretty clueless on rum to be honest. Have tasted the odd one that was very pleasant but not known the brand or type.
    I was gifted a Bacardi Carta Negra which is, frankly, rather poor. Not sure how I'm going to make it disappear without arousing suspicion of the benefactor.

Anyway, what is inexpensive but worthy of sipping-rum status or at worst on the rocks?

5. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Relatively new to rum but have discovered a few favourites so far. Price-wise, £35-£50 in the UK can get a good sipping rum. El Dorado (from Guyana) 12yo and, worth a few extra, the 15yo. Both are quite sweet but recent bottles have had far less sugar added than earlier versions.
    RL Seale 10yo from Barbados, Foursquare distillery is lovely stuff. Good strength and natural presentation. Also from Foursquare, Doorly's 12yo. Again, all natural, less sweet, and complex, so should appeal to a Scotch drinker. Not tried, but the XO is meant to be good (and cheaper).

Personally, like whisky, I'd avoid low strength bottles or fancy packaging. Also note that many rums can be excessively sweet (additional sugar added), the age statement can relate to the oldest rum in the blend (unlike Scotch), although not in the case of the aforementioned rums, which is the youngest, and the hotter climate matures the spirit far quicker than Scotch.

(And yes, there's a rum thread on here somewhere)

cj66 likes this.
  6. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

The Amarone finish will be available again soon, as well as the port cask.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  7. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I had a bottle of that and found it to be decent in rum old fashioned's and other cocktails.

I'm no expert but have enjoyed the likes of the Kirk and Sweeney 12 year old, Ron Zacapa 23 and Diplimatico.

cj66 likes this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Oh good :):). Going to Arran in Sept, so will have an opportunity to stock up (unless it's sold out again by then).

pawnshop92 and Cambs12 like this.
  9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

jimbob75 likes this.
  10. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Well spotted that man! One 10yo CS ordered with a sneaky 15yo thrown in for free shipping. Many thanks!

pawnshop92 and Weekender like this.
  11. pawnshop92

pawnshop92 pfm Member

Just Whisky auction house has said it would not take Springbank 10 bottles that are being released by the distillery for the Ukrainian relief effort, hopefully a few more of them follow suit.

12. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Fair play and, as you say, hopefully the other houses will follow suit.
    And well done to Springbank...but...
    they will be selling these at just above normal RRP!
    Come on. They could triple the price and still sell out, or alternatively send them to a charity auction.
    The normal 10 is sold out; the new Loch blend...sold out
    Do they have a marketing department? Or Finance? I get they are a model business and that is partly why they are lauded by enthusiasts but...
    It's not just me - their Instagram account was swamped by appeals to put the price up when they posted the announcement.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

14. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

15. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

Just opened this...

[​IMG]

chartz and hifilover1979 like this.
  16. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Are you not going to start the evening with a Glenfiddich 12 or something? ;)

17. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

Dalmore 12, then Ardbeg Corryvreckan to limber up!

hifilover1979 and Weekender like this.
  18. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Any whisky that requires a Corry to limber up for gets my vote! Enjoy

19. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

pawnshop92 likes this.
  20. pawnshop92

pawnshop92 pfm Member

I grabbed the craigellachie 14 and a sample, already had a bottle in storage so did not want to be greedy, lol.

Weekender likes this.