advertisement

Whisky II

Whoever recommended Seaweed & Aeons & Digging & Fire 10 Year Old...

Just opened a bottle delivered a while ago and wow! That is really lovely. Thanks.

I think a few have recommended, I bought on recommendation and found the same, lovely stuff.

Talisker 10.
Like a supercharged Springbank 10. Nice.
On Skye.
Celebrating an England win. Oops. :)

Last edited:
I like Talisker. Might get one soon. Had a Bunna 12 last night, good but not spectacular. The seaweed and aeons gets good press here. My favourite remains Oban, it's a winner for Christmas but that's a long way off.

I like Talisker. Might get one soon. Had a Bunna 12 last night, good but not spectacular. The seaweed and aeons gets good press here. My favourite remains Oban, it's a winner for Christmas but that's a long way off.

Bunna 12 isn't meant to be spectacular; it's just a bloody good drinker

And on another note; it's weeks since I touched a drop; my head needs checking! o_O:D

I have noticed, it pops up in Morri's now and again for less than £30. I think that s where I got my last one.

Woodford Reserve and coke for me today - possibly blasphemy given I'm on Speyside.

We drop to Elgin to shop again yesterday and the road from Tomintoul to there really is like a whisky Disneyland - distilleries everywhere!

Not been a big Talisker drinker over the years although it is one of the few distilleries I have visited. I was tempted by this on a visit to a lovely whisky shop in Norwich this weekend.

TALISKER-PORT-RUIGHE.png

I've got the Talisker 10, which I like, and the Talisker Skye, which is cheap and ok but good with mixers etc. I've also had the Storm which I recall as being quite peaty (not a bad thing in my book). Of them I prefer the 10 though.

Today's arrival is an SMWS bottling called "All Peaches and Roses", which is a cask-strength (57.8%) 9-year old Glen Scotia described as "spicy and dry". Very tasty.

Looked at that one myself but too similar to the Confit Orange I've got

I'm enjoying the Chivas Regal 15 year old this evening, it's very suppable

Today we went to the Oyster Shed for lunch and then to the Talisker shop. All seemed a bit RRP and I declined purchases having already splurged on a couple of bottles of the Torabhaig earlier in the week after the pretty decent tour.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/post/torabhaig-distillerys-first-whisky.aspx
Turns out Mossburn are owned by the Dutch Marussia Beverages, who are in turn owned by a Swedish holding company Haydn Holding AB...so not quite as warm and fluffy as you might think.
I also fancied a trip over to Raasay to hunt down a bottle or two of their new stuff but been outvoted 3 to 1

I also fancied a trip over to Raasay to hunt down a bottle or two of their new stuff but been outvoted 3 to 1

I got a bottle of that in one of the online ballots but haven't opened it. The bottle is a particularly nice one.

Popped in to Ben Nevis in Fort William on the way back. Was hoping they might actually have some of their own gear in the shop. They said the 12 is being rebranded and the 10 is at the bottling plant. Or it may well be the other way round. Quite like the old fashioned labels so hope they don't mess that or the contents up...and hope they're not just saying that to play for time as so much of their stuff goes in to Nikka.
Bought a bottle of Glencoe 8 at £36.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ben-nevis/macdonalds-glencoe-8-year-old-whisky/
Coming back via Stirling so had a look in the Deanston shop. Some interesting looking single cask strength exclusives in the 10 to 14 yo range but they were £120. In 20cl bottles for £35. Also a bottling called Decades with 1977, 90s and 2011 distillation. 46% and £85.
They had the Bunnahabhain Feis Isle bottles as well.
The clock was ticking and with one eye on the bank account I walked out empty-handed. Eurgh.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back