advertisement

Whisky II

This evening I've treated myself to a little snifter of the SMWS "All Peaches and Roses" bottling, which is a 9 year old Glen Scotia from a 1st fill ex-bourbon barrel and bottled at 57.8% ABV (which is quite low for an SMWS bottling): https://smws.eu/all-peaches-and-roses/

In usual SMWS fashion it's described as "The nose opened with the delicate sweetness of heather honey, lavender and rose petals alongside apricots, peaches and red apples served with cherry yoghurt. Juicy fruits continued onto the palette as banana and melon joined barbecued pineapple before liquorice and Chinese five spice emerged with a whisp of smoke. Dried seaweed and barnacles were released with a dash of water while sweet aromas of praline, white chocolate and hard fruity sweets became encased in thick smoke and toasted cereals. Flavours of calvados joined orange skin, fennel seeds and bitter lemon as we moved onto a finish bound by red vermouth, spicy wood and waxy textures."

I don't get all that but it is sweet and fruity (and I even get a little of the banana and pineapple) - tasty and quite an easy drinker given the reasonably high ABV. Enjoyable.

I wish I'd bought more Springbank when I was at the distillery a few weeks back - and sent my wife in to buy more of the stuff (like the 12) that was limited to one bottle per customer!

Never tried JW Blue label but this seems a good way in. That said I've never tried Gold label or the 18 year old JWs. Is it worth it?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Never tried JW Blue label but this seems a good way in. That said I've never tried Gold label or the 18 year old JWs. Is it worth it?

I've got a bottle of the blue (paid £108 in one of the sales) and it's good (and has been well liked by visitors who've tried it), although I don't think it's worth the full price (and I paid less for a Glenfarclas 25, which is definitely better). I've also got a bottle of the 18 which is also decent (especially if you can get it under £50 in the sales).

About the only one I don't have a bottle of (other than the red) is the Gold - mainly because the reviews of it didn't seem that great (although no doubt I'll get a bottle in a sale at some point).

Green and Double Black are the sweet spots in the range for me.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

IMO the Blue is overpriced... Kept expensive by the Yanks and Japanese using it as the corporate gift etc...

The Gold is good, but for me, the Green is the best of the bunch

I’m a bit conflicted by the Green. It’s certainly good for the price but if I’m to consume alcohol units I prefer something better which also means more expensive.

I’m a bit conflicted by the Green. It’s certainly good for the price but if I’m to consume alcohol units I prefer something better which also means more expensive.

Why more expensive? And if better than Green Label; what's up with it in the first place?

I mean for less money than JW Green I'd go for Bruichladdie Classic Laddie or Glenrothes 10YO; both on Amazon and less than £40

Bunnah 12 blows the doors off too compared to JW Green...

But for a blended at that price; it's hard to beat JW Green IMO

I wish I'd bought more Springbank when I was at the distillery a few weeks back - and sent my wife in to buy more of the stuff (like the 12) that was limited to one bottle per customer!
That approach worked well for me with my Mrs and the two boys (19 and 21) at Torabhaig this Summer. :)

Why more expensive? And if better than Green Label; what's up with it in the first place?
Green on an offer is very good value. No complaints in that respect. But…I prefer a more complex malt with more aftertaste. Given that a bottle lasts me quite a long time I want my whisky to have more character and I’m prepared to spend more to get this. Eg Ardbeg, Springbank, Hazelburn, Laphroig Cairdeas, Port Charlotte, Glendronach are some examples. For everyday I stick with beer or wine.

advertisement

Back