advertisement

Whisky II

Skye is an amazing place and it’s good to hear they’ve got another distillery there to visit.

I’ve managed the Tobermory distillery yesterday and popped into a diageo heavy Oban today. A haul of two cask strength Ledaig (20cl’s), Oban 10yo cask strength (10cl), three samples of Tobermory/Ledaig and a Berry Bros Tobermory 10yo cask strength from Oban Whisky shop. Should be topped up until the stop at Tyndrum on the way back.

I took a little visit to the Whisky Castle again yesterday but restrained myself to just one bottle - one of their single cask own bottlings, a 9-year old Dufftown which is 46% and very tasty.

We drove from Tomintoul to Elgin yesterday to do some shopping and passed an amazing number of distilleries on route.

If you have Amazon Prime:
Wemyss Malts. I had an email from them: "This Amazon Prime day, we're offering over 20% off some of our favourite collections. This really is a one-time deal, as we're pretty new to Amazon and we're testing the water - we've never done this kind of offer before and we may never do it again. You'll need to move quickly though, as we've only allocated a limited number of bottles with this discount."
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F81RW15/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Clynelish 14 £33.75:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GLKBT2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I ordered a bottle of Woodford Reserve and one of The Glenlivet Founders Edition or £19.99 each in the prime day yesterday and they both arrived today. The Woodford I've had before, but not tried much from Glenlivet yet so looking forward to that.

The MoM reviews of the Glenlivet Founders Reserve isn't compelling however that's at a price point of £32.95. The description of it being sweet and fruity means it'll be a good one to have in the Tomintoul house to either use in old fashioneds or as an "easy drinker" for visitors that haven't much whisky experience (and will avoid me having to serve them the Tomintoul 16 instead!).

Last edited:
The Glenlivet achieved a very high (gold) rating in the 2019 IWSC. That dropped to a bronze in 2020. It’s pleasant enough and terrific value at £19.99. It’s regularly sold at £22 by A and the big supermarkets.

https://www.iwsc.net/results/detail/97886/the-glenlivet-founder-reserve

Cheers. Sounds like it should be fine for what I'm going to use it for.

The Glenlivet distillery is only 9 miles from my house (and there at least 2 distilleries closer!) and it's currently showing as re-opening for tours at the start of July so I'll buy something better from them once I get booked in for a tour there.

The MoM reviews of the Glenlivet Founders Reserve isn't compelling however that's at a price point of £32.95. The description of it being sweet and fruity means it'll be a good one to have in the Tomintoul house to either use in old fashioneds or as an "easy drinker" for visitors that haven't much whisky experience (and will avoid me having to serve them the Tomintoul 16 instead!).
I got given a bottle of the Glenlivet FR for Xmas. I'd not recommend it at £30-odd, but if you get it for £20 it's better than many blends. I've put it in a hip flask, and might use it in cocktails, but I'd probably not drink it as my evening dram. It's a bit safe but bland. Ideal, as you suggest, for the inexperienced whisky drinker who might be put off by the more interesting drams on offer.

Just enjoyed a G&T but that would be another thread.
The whisky news is that my Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair arrived today, far earlier that expected.

So today these arrived, courtesy of the family (can't think why, but the number 67 may be relevant)....

Fettercairn 12 year old (Highland)
Port Charlotte 10 year old (Islay)

...neither of which I've tried before.

I had a bottle of the Douglas Laing bottling of Fettercairn. I think it was the 12 yr, and at 46% abv. Really enjoyed it, seemed to get better as the bottle went down. And you can't go wrong with the Port Charlotte, this got me into peated whiskies.

advertisement

Back