Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Whisky II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifilover1979, Jun 18, 2021.

1. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Very good tour at The Glenlivet today - the visit centre is very good. The tour included sampling the 12, 15 and 18 (and I've another set to try as my wife was driving and doesn't drink anyway) and I treated myself to a bottle of their 12-year old Illicit Still release (which I haven't tried yet).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    £20,000 bottle of 50 year old!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Very close to both Scapa and Highland Park distilleries tomorrow. If you could only buy one bottle from each, up to say £60ea, what would you recommend?

3. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

TBH wouldn’t bother with Scapa and go for a HP 18 YO. One of the all time greats.

4. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

That’s what I’d do. I really liked this whisky.

JTC likes this.
  5. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

That looks superb.

Reminds me a lot of Aberfeldy distillery. That's a really well laid out & run tour. Great whiskies too

Glenlivet is on my to do list, might be one for next Feb when we're up in the Highlands

SteveG likes this.
  6. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

pawnshop92 and Weekender like this.
  7. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

8. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Currently having a dram of a South African whisky, Bain's Cape Mountain. Quite cheap (£24.70 at Amazon and MoM at the moment) and very decent. It's a single grain whisky, rather than a malt, and I think is a 5-year old and matured in Bourbon casks. I bought it to do a "whiskies of the world" tasting session with my kids and their partners but it's better than I'd expected. Lots of vanilla, moderately sweet and quite fruity.

9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

10. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Weekender likes this.
  11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I know what you mean - I now have shelves plural...:eek:

But this is my first Lowlander so an "essential purchase" [Cough:rolleyes:].

clivem2 likes this.
  12. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

hifilover1979 likes this.
  13. pawnshop92

pawnshop92 pfm Member

So the An Oa, the 10, the wee beastie, uigideal and corryverkan. All within about £20-30 of one another, that's a pretty congested line-up. Has anyone tried them all? If so, how would you rank them?

14. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I've only had the 10 and Wee Beastie (unopened An Oa).
    Trust this Guy's palate:
    He does not do the Wee Beastie which is 5yo, more sherried than the 10 but not as good, or as good value. Should be under £30 imo.

15. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Good watch...

Although I find it hard to trust a man whose arm is the same thickness, shoulder to wrist... :D

16. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I'm having a rather nice smokey cokey using Caol Ila 12 to finish off the bottle - very, very tasty it is too. I'm not sure what I'll replace it with yet. I've got an independent 13-year old Caol Ila bottling from Gordon & McPhail which is also nice, but I noticed there is a Caol Ila Distillers edition and if that's as good as the Oban and Lagavulin versions I've got then they could be pretty special.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Not these but the Bunnahabhain 12 and Stuiradour (sp?). They are clearly from the same house, and if there's a difference then the Stuiradour is slightly less peated, with a lower phenol level and a generally lighter flavour. By a gnat's hair. Taste botb, leave the room, rinse your mouth, OK, now which one of the two you've just tasted is this? No chance.

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Haig (blue bottle) is a single grain too. It's nice enough, if not very distinctive. At £20 a litre I'll buy it again. At RRP? No.

19. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I've bought a few bottles of that in the past when it's discounted, to use with mixers (i.e. similar to how you'd drink Jack Daniels), and I think it's pretty good like that.

20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Voting closes at midnight:
    https://www.oswa.co.uk/nominations

jimbob75 likes this.