Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Whisky II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hifilover1979, Jun 18, 2021.

1. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Can understand that, but the Ledaig for me is at least trying to be interesting, and it is...

The Arran's are special IMO more so at their price...

The Lakes whisky for me, is trying to be a Penderyn and The English Whisky...

Which IMO, haven't quite got it, yet...

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  2. hifilover1979

On this, this evening:

[​IMG]

Still full of a cold and its on my chest now; so need to kill it quickly

Alan Brown and Cambs12 like this.
  3. Alan Brown

Alan Brown Registered LUser

That'll do it! There's a bottling called Scarabus, which is exactly the same thing IIRC. Both put me in mind of Smokehead, and I wouldn't be surprised if they all come getting the same place.

hifilover1979 likes this.
  4. hifilover1979

Yup, can see that

Although this is smoother than Smokehead IMO.

Alas I've had enough, it's sent me straight into meltdown, so a brew and bed I think...

Age is catching me up :D

5. boon

boon pfm Member

Well, no samples to be had, but came away with a bottle of Compass Box Hedonism, and a 15 year old Dalwhinnie. Happy days, who needs diesel, not me, until Monday;)

hifilover1979 likes this.
  6. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

7. robs

robs should know how this works by no

8. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

That's embarrassing being a Brit - my excuse is being in the USA it was the spellcheckers fault :D

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

I don’t disagree, I felt much the same about the bottle I’ve got, but this evening I tried it with a splash of water. It’s not at all bad that way. Normally I only add water to cask strength whiskies, but it did seem to help the Ledaig develop some character.

10. hifilover1979

Their 18 year old is a stunning drop, I've got my eyes on the 21 year old now.

The 15 year old was a superb bottle & I'll order again

Never tried the 12 though.

11. Cambs12

Cambs12 pfm Member

Is it Glendronach who have started chill filtering all of a sudden?

12. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

As I understand the 15 used to have a lot of older whisky in it, less so now. Been meaning to try some since I’ve discovered I like a sherry-bomb, but prices getting a wee bit steep. The 12 looks a good price but at 43% will give it a miss.
    They’ve certainly not made many fans with their decision to chill filter. Expect prices of old stock to rise!

13. hifilover1979

No idea; I don't care TBH

Stuff like that doesn't bother me with standard whiskies; if it were cask, I'd probably give it a go etc

As long as it's up to standard with taste; why look down on it because they've change the way they process things?!

14. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Because chill-filtration, by removing the heavy components, impacts the taste in manys opinion. I can't seeing it improving things anyhoo. And why do it? It adds to the production costs so...Rumour has it that the move to chill-filtration is a precursor to a reduction in abv across the range. They paid a lot of money to Billy Walker and co....need to recoup.

Sherry bomb fans at least have a ready made alternative with Glenallachie. Or Arran. Or Edradour.

jimbob75 likes this.
  16. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

Because it has a direct bearing on taste* It’s a clear indication that they are prepared to sacrifice flavour to ensure consistency in appearance to increase sales.

* ask Bruichladdich, or Bunnahabhain, or Arran, or Springbank, or Deanston, or Ardbeg....

Weekender likes this.
  17. hifilover1979

The 15s still worth it IMO. It's a superb dram

Weekender likes this.
  18. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Bunna just released a 40%er in the Taiwanese market...sent a bit of a shockwave around the faithful. "What next?"

19. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Anyone score any Springbanks this week?

:D:D:D

20. hifilover1979

I've had plenty of non CF and CF whiskies; never have I thought it's affected the taste that much that I'd never buy again

For me, the drop in ABV affects the whisky more and that's when I'd reconsider

Each to their own; but I do think more is made of it at times