advertisement

Whisky II

If Highland includes Speyside then the Glenfarclas 25 used to be my go-to for that, although it seems to retailing now for about double the £99 I paid for my bottle a couple of years back.

For an actual Highland one then maybe the Deanston 18.

Prices for everything over 18 seem inexplicable to me. Ancnoc seems the only reasonable call.

If you can stretch "Highland" Arran 18 is in scope.

If you can stretch "18" my finger has been hovering over this.

Is ‘terroir’ really a phenomenon in whisky beyond marketing blurb? Given the use of barley grown in East Anglia, malted and peated at giant regional centres, and (despite romantic descriptions of Atlantic waves crashing against warehouses, imbuing the distillate with saline character) matured in huge complexes in central Scotland. This article supports the notion, but I remain sceptical.

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2021/02/research-shows-terroir-in-whiskey-does-exist/

Is ‘terroir’ really a phenomenon in whisky beyond marketing blurb? Given the use of barley grown in East Anglia, malted and peated at giant regional centres, and (despite romantic descriptions of Atlantic waves crashing against warehouses, imbuing the distillate with saline character) matured in huge complexes in central Scotland. This article supports the notion, but I remain sceptical.

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2021/02/research-shows-terroir-in-whiskey-does-exist/
Of course Waterford would say this as it is their MO.
I think barley type and terroir do have impacts but to what degree I'm not so sure.
There are heritage varieties which are said to be a factor in old whiskies from bygone ages being better. So I think there's some worthwhile research going on there.
I'd like to try some of the Waterford's but at £70 plus for 3yo whisky it's a bit steep.
Also if you put different barley types and/or diverse farm condition crops into the same say, refill bourbon casks for 12 or so years will the cask influence reduce the impact of terroir over that time.
As to how much a difference can be discerned once the barley has been peated and/or put into sherry casks well...

Will be interested in your thoughts regarding the Moch, compared to the standard 12.

Very nice... Different to the 12

The Moch was more 'burnt rubber' on opening but 2 small drams over an hour and it's calmed right off.. Same 'base' as the 12YO IMO, but it's smoother, sweeter with a kick of burnt muscovado in there...

I'll need to revisit soon when I'm more 'in the mood' :D

Had an enjoyable evening last night when one of my boys produced a bottle of Loch Dhu for my birthday.

It had been many years since my last bottle and love it. Not easy to find these days but well worth the search!

Grabbed a 10 yo blended malt (sherried) and a few samples (a 21yo and 24yo) along with a couple of stored bottles from whiskybroker, all for less than £60 delivered.

Interested in your views on the sherried Blended Malt when it arrives, I have one from the last batch and its the most challenging bottle I own. You can taste why most choose only to finish in oak. Not to say its bad, its just right out on the frontier of woodiness.

The only recent addition I've had is a bottle of the Laphroaig 10-year old sherry oak finish, although I've not tried it yet as I'm trying to finish off some of the open bottles to make space.

Always interesting to hear the perspective of those working in the industry - this week's vpub guest was John Campbell (ex Laphroaig distillery manager, now at Lochlea).

Sounds like a distillery to keep an eye on.

Always interesting to hear the perspective of those working in the industry - this week's vpub guest was John Campbell (ex Laphroaig distillery manager, now at Lochlea).

Sounds like a distillery to keep an eye on.

I’ve really been enjoying their releases, easily the best of the newer rash of lowland distilleries. Their sherry matured ‘Fallow Edition’ was fabulous. The peated ‘Ploughing Edition’ less so, but still worth trying

Bottles from WB arrived today and grabbed a Thompson Bros 6 year old blend that is amazing and a Bruichladdich 'The Laddie' on clearance at Tescos for £25 when up in Inverness on Saturday. Stopped into Tomatin and Blair Atholl, the former wanted £150 for a PX 10 yr old single cask (madness) and the later was asking £110 for a red wine finished of their wares. The four bottles combined were less than the Tomatin with enough left over for a decent dram.

advertisement

Back