advertisement

Whisky II

Not wanting to intrude on the interesting discussion on process and production, but I just had a sip of Ledaig soon after finishing the last drop of Talisker 10. They've a lot in common, but the peppery note in the Ledaig is purer, I think due to their being less caramel. Ledaig has really grown on me - I found it a bit simplistic when I first tasted it, but then simple can often be good.
Need to crack my Ledaig...and the newly arrived Laphroaig 10 cask strength batch 15...

As a side note the modern technology (rapid air blown fans replacing prolonged smoking with fire) used to peat barley has been argued as the reason for whisky quickly (matter of months) going "flat" and losing its phenolic character once the bottle is opened. This makes sense alongside the perception that peated whiskies are not the same as they were.

Not wanting to intrude on the interesting discussion on process and production, but I just had a sip of Ledaig soon after finishing the last drop of Talisker 10. They've a lot in common, but the peppery note in the Ledaig is purer, I think due to there being less caramel. Ledaig has really grown on me - I found it a bit simplistic when I first tasted it, but then simple can often be good.
I'm a bit fan of Ardmore as an everyday whisky that you don't need to be precious about. Very simple, austere, very slightly peated but enough to tell you it's there, and dirt cheap to boot.

I baulked at the prices of the two single cask expressions at Glenallachie following their 'deluxe' tour. I thought the tour was fine, they gave the drams out during 'tour', some of it was on the telly, then there was a small walk through the distillery though did not include a warehouse, shadowed compared to Springbank or even glendronach's tour. They wanted £100 + for a 11 yo wine finish and £110 for a sherry finished from 2011. We also stopped at a few other distilleries though the highlight was going to the Highlander Inn, having some lovely drams and hearing about a group of Canadians who purchased two casks from Glenfarclas for around £20k on the day.

We walked a section of the Speyside way with the dog earlier, finishing at Cragganmore. Took a quick look at a couple of new to me distilleries - neither were open today but I'll go back when they are.

173024057.Po2xbkyO.sw109.jpg

173024058.CYOW5nEp.sw110.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed this rather decadent sherry monster at the weekend. As rich and intense as the colour suggests. Contrary to expectation I found it very approachable, but obviously time in glass rewards. Only caveat I'd add is that the bottle is 50cl, which may well be obvious in this pic, but not so much on the website...eejit.
The 10 is decent enough but the lack of abv and mouthfeel is quite stark in contrast. I suspect the Signatory bottling is the sweet spot in the range.

Thoroughly enjoyed this rather decadent sherry monster at the weekend. As rich and intense as the colour suggests. Contrary to expectation I found it very approachable, but obviously time in glass rewards. Only caveat I'd add is that the bottle is 50cl, which may well be obvious in this pic, but not so much on the website...eejit.
The 10 is decent enough but the lack of abv and mouthfeel is quite stark in contrast. I suspect the Signatory bottling is the sweet spot in the range.

Bought one of these last week and have a Signatory and an Ibisco. All unopened! Think I need some whisky friends to help out.
The Caledonia 12 is also tempting me...

Any thoughts on the Port Charlotte Islay Barley? I've just finished a bottle of Port Charlotte 10yo, which I like as an interesting alternative to the Bunnahabhain peated malt I tend to drink. Rather than get another, I've taken a punt on the Islay Barley 2013 from the same stable as I like the idea of terroir as a thing in my whisky. Not tried it yet, hopefully I'll not be disappointed.

Any thoughts on the Port Charlotte Islay Barley? I've just finished a bottle of Port Charlotte 10yo, which I like as an interesting alternative to the Bunnahabhain peated malt I tend to drink. Rather than get another, I've taken a punt on the Islay Barley 2013 from the same stable as I like the idea of terroir as a thing in my whisky. Not tried it yet, hopefully I'll not be disappointed.
I bought a couple of the 2012 on offer last year.
I haven't opened them. :rolleyes:
You won't be going far wrong with Bruichladdich but my guess is that the terroir thing is overstated. Using different types of barley might not be though...but it would be subtle?
https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/205934/bruichladdich-2013

https://wordsofwhisky.com/bruichladdich-islay-barley-2013-2022/

Cracking dram, one of my favourites...

My Dad got 3 Edradour decanter bottles of this back in 2009; mines still unopened and spugged away for a 'rainy day' ;)

My brothers disappeared moons back; Dad still has half his!

I bought a couple of the 2012 on offer last year.
I haven't opened them. :rolleyes:
You won't be going far wrong with Bruichladdich but my guess is that the terroir thing is overstated. Using different types of barley might not be though...but it would be subtle?
https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/205934/bruichladdich-2013

https://wordsofwhisky.com/bruichladdich-islay-barley-2013-2022/
Thanks, but note that there's the Bruichladdich Islay Barley, and the Port Charlotte Islay Barley, which is what I went for, having become fond of the Port Charlotte offerings I've had to-date.

Opened the Raasay the other night. Bought out of curiosity, wasn’t expecting much. But it’s actually pretty damn good, the best I’ve tasted so far from the new crop of distilleries (Lochlea, Lindores Abbey, Kingsbarns) although not opened my Ardnamurchan yet.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/raasay/isle-of-raasay-single-malt-whisky/?srh=1

I've got a bottle from them but haven't actually tried it as it was one of the first batch released which I got via a ballot, so was planning to keep it. Hopefully I should be visiting the distillery next week though, so should get the chance to taste some of their stuff then.

advertisement

Back