advertisement

Whisky II

Beware supermarket manager "whisky fans" recommending bottom shelf consumer brands. Both are mass market whiskies produced to price points at 40%, coloured and chill-filtered. Auchentoshan is effectively a £23 mistake that can be avoided! Sorry to be so frank. Whiskybase and Google search are good starting points for reviews.
Cotswolds is £30 on Clubcard:
Craft produced 46%, natural colour and, though it is young it is aged in decent casks.
Old Pulteney 12 is £28. Might be worth a go at that price over the Auchentoshan, 12 year age statement but it is also a volume product.

Very helpful, thanks. I do use Whiskybase but it isn't always easy to find the particular bottle in 14 or even over 20 pages. I couldn't find that particular Auchentoshan. I'm an avid review reader and check up as much as i can. The store manager recommended the Penderyn most highly but that wasn't on offer. The Bunna on offer was pretty good to me. Thanks for the other tips. Tesco may not be the best place to buy whisky but it's my closest large supermarket. I should take a trip to Lidl because I did like Ben Bracken Speyside and Highland. Haven't tried the Islay.

Loch Lomond Distillery Edition #5:

Some good deals here? Someone exploring Scotch could do worse than pick up a Campbeltown Loch (£34.50), Thompson Bros TB/BSW (£33.50), SRV5 (£33.50) and an Adephi blend (£20.99)... Glencadam 10 at £34.50 good intro to what American oak imparts.
Quite tempted by the Old Perth Palo Cortado? Benromach Contrasts?

On a récent trip back to the U.K., I picked up a bottle of this Vilanova Terrocita to take to one of my friends living in Scotland. It was very well received and is rather good.

While there with a few other friends, we also tried the Harris first batch, and a couple of others whose names I have forgotten.

A client of mine has gone out of his way to help me get some work from someone else and I'd like to get him a bottle of Whisky for up to £50.00. I know he likes Whisky but I don't know his preference and I know nothing about Whisky. Looking for a reccomendation.

Cheers BB

A client of mine has gone out of his way to help me get some work from someone else and I'd like to get him a bottle of Whisky for up to £50.00. I know he likes Whisky but I don't know his preference and I know nothing about Whisky. Looking for a reccomendation.

Cheers BB
I'd hesitate to recommend a really peated (smokey) whisky in case he is averse.
In the spirit of recommending something a bit different, I cracked one of these at the weekend and am very happy with it:
Signatory are a respected independent bottler and the 100 Proofs have been well-received by drinkers for their vfm.
It's Highland Park which is generally considered a great all-round single malt. Very lightly peated, though I may be slightly peat-blind.
Alternatively they have a couple of other Signatory 100 Proofs in stock:

Aberdeen have Kilkerran 12:

Last edited:
I don't think you'd go far wrong with an Arran Bodega or Quarter Cask. Slightly over budget, but not hugely and the fact that they're not one of the Usual Suspects would show you've put a bit of effort in.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Bunnahabhain 12 is under £40 on Amazon at the moment, and the Cotswolds is under £44 - they're both very good. The Glenfarclas 12 is another candidate under £50.

Other current Tesco offers possibly of interest - comments?
Aber Falls - £20
Talisker Skye - £27
Cardhu Gold Reserve - £29
Singleton of Dufftown Malt Master's Whisky Bottle - £24
Tamnavulin Speyside - £24
Don’t know the Skye. Some Talisker NAS’s are good, others mediocre. Aber Falls nothing special but worth a score if you want to try a Welsh whisky. Cardhu ok. Singleton and Tamnavulin- save your money.

advertisement

Back