advertisement

Which Yes Remasters?

Ordered The Yes Albumn (3-5 weeks), Relayer (2-5) days) and Going For The One (24h) from amazon.com. At $30 a pop it seemed worth a punt.

Cheers

I sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I'm reasonably sure that the Japanese remasters sold out long ago. It could be an endless wait for those who've ordered them off Amazon etc.

Then again, I could be completely wrong!

(I'm going to see Rush at the NEC. Twice! - I'm ridiculously excited. They were the first 'real' band I ever saw - in 1979 and I've caught them on every UK tour since - so about 4 times then...!)

Yes Jon. They're recording it just for me!

Not much good until the HDCD player turns up anyway.

The waiting time I quoted are for the Japanese HDCDs - we'll see if the quoted times translate into an actual delivery.

Cheers

All very subjective and in the context of my own ears and system:

The HDCD version of The Yes Album turns out to be a huge disappointment to my ears. It sounds like a muddy, muddled mess. Big bloated and slow bass, grating mid and treble and what I can only guess are digital artefacts in the high frequencies. It’s true that the wider you open the window, the more muck flies in, but I believe the clicks and buzzes have either been artificially exaggerated by the HD process or introduced as a result of it. The Rhino remaster in comparison sounds detailed, open and above all fast and tuneful. Since I’m such a sad Yes fan I’ll hang onto the HDCD. The packaging is a thing of beauty and who knows, as my rig gets better in time I might appreciate it more.

Going For The One on HDCD turns out to be a bit of a gem (to my ears). More open, detailed and cleaner than the Rhino release (itself no bad effort), with lots of layering, good separation and fast, punchy but well weighted bass. This is what I expected HDCD to sound like – the same but more. Like The Yes Album (and all the other releases I’m guessing) the packaging is a joy to behold and hold.

Relayer is still on order. Looks like the result could go either way.

If that’s of any use.

Cheers

Just been out and purchased the Yes Album (rhino remaster)all I can say is superb made my hairs stand on end.Going to get Close To The Edge next week.Another good remaster to get IMO is Argos Remastered by Wishbone Ash, absolute classic British rock with soaring guitar solos and driving bass, sounds brilliant.

I see that www.101CD.com has remastered Yes CDs with extra tracks, with the same track listings as the Rhino remasters. has anyone bought any of the Elektra CDs and can tell me how they sound ?

If anyone is still looking for the Rhino Yes remasters HMV have them in their 4 CD's for £20 offer at the moment.
I picked up The Yes Album, two copies of Fragile (one for a friend), Close To The Edge, and Relayer in the Covent Garden HMV this afternoon. You have to look carefully because they had Atlantic remasters and Rhino all together.

I've got quite a few of the Rhino remasters now but I've not been able to find 'The Yes Album'. However now that you've mentioned that HMV have got it I'll check it out this coming week.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jon

Originally posted by ChrisJ
After the Yes Album, Yes became .....boring pretentious prats...no wonderv Johnny Rotten got riled into making some rock 'n' roll.

No. he did that because he'd heard Peter Hammil's (Van Der Graaf Generator) 'Nadirs big Chance'.

:D

Yes were experimental innovators, trying to break out of the usual 'rock' mould (which punk fell right back into). If everyone felt like you did Chris, music would stagnate rapidly -- people who try to 'do different' are often called 'pretentious'.

Plus, if you think Yes were pretentious, you've obviously never seen the Pet Shop Boys live. ;)

Stephen

advertisement

Back