advertisement

Which way next

OLD SCHOOL

MrBlueSky
Hi
My current system consists of CDS1, 82-Scap, Snaxo-Hc,2 x 250 SBL's. which Ive had for 15-18 years The 250's HC along with the CDPS have been serviced fairly recently but the SC and 82 are over due this is going to cost 450- 500 pounds. I have a couple of options first is to have them serviced the 82 has pots 6 so changing to pots 8 will not make a world of difference. second is to sell them as is and use the money to replace them with a Teddy Pardo PR1 saving the cost of the service or may be do something else, what do you guys think any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks
Tom

If you're in the UK, try Class A in Sheffield and WitchHat audio for independent quotations for the 82 & SC servicing.

Hi Tom
Witch Hat Audio has my vote from now on and I Very Highly Recommend them. They have just done a brilliant job on replacing the Dac in my Naim CDS . They even went to the trouble of sourcing a replacment DAC from Germany for me, instead of just saying we don't have the right component. See the thread "Thanks" in the Off Topic section. I'll never go back to Naim after nearly 40 years of loyalty ,they just don't seem to care anymore, customer service went out of the window when Focus took them over.
Total cost of the repair by Witch Hat Audio was probable just less than it would have cost me to send my CDS back to Naim with their policy of now having to go through their Dealer net work and the extra Dealer mark up to return kit , that is of course if the could have been bothered in the first place which they were not.:(
oldie

Servicing by the independents doesn't seem to affect used values these days either.
They also seem to be about half the cost of a Naim service. Win, Win?

Hi
My current system consists of CDS1, 82-Scap, Snaxo-Hc,2 x 250 SBL's. which Ive had for 15-18 years The 250's HC along with the CDPS have been serviced fairly recently but the SC and 82 are over due this is going to cost 450- 500 pounds. I have a couple of options first is to have them serviced the 82 has pots 6 so changing to pots 8 will not make a world of difference. second is to sell them as is and use the money to replace them with a Teddy Pardo PR1 saving the cost of the service or may be do something else, what do you guys think any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks
Tom

Tom,

I had and enjoyed a 52/135 for years until last year when I bought a PR1, sold the 52, which I dont miss at all (other than it's balance control). The PR1 has a totally different presentation but nevertheless manages to have that "not there" sound. The PR1 is well worth a try. I thought it matched the 135s extremely well, providing the tone and detail of the teddy sound along with the boogie factor of Naim. I have MB100s now which are also excellent.

Naim service costs were definitely a factor in my decision to switch.

advertisement

Back