advertisement

Which volume control method and brand

IDM

pfm Member
I have just built a Salas DCG3 preamp. Initial impressions are extremely favourable, it appears to be rather special. Details can be found here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/296406-salas-dcg3-preamp-line-headphone.html

I am in the process of completing the build and am thinking about the best solution (for reasonable money) volume control. One option is of course a potentiometer, but which one, there is such a huge range in terms of price. I feel drawn towards a stepped attenuator, indeed I have one made in Taiwan with Dale resistors, that seems pretty good. Though I am also drawn towards the Khozmo series attenuator https://khozmo.com/series_khozmo_attenuator.html

Other people make a lot of positive comments about LDR based volume controls, whilst others claim there are issues with non-linearity, which puts me off. Alternatively there are the relay based volume controls. I tried a cheap one form Ebay and found that both the input and output resistance changed continually at different settings, so am not convinced that this is the right thing to use. I know other types are available at a number of different price points.

Having tried to read the arguments for both different types of volume controls as well as discussion of DACT over another, I now fully completely confused. Given that some of these items are quite expensive and I don’t want to make the wrong choice. I was therefore wondering if anybody has any practical advice based on having actually having heard different options.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I haven’t heard lots of alternatives but I did try a DACT stepped attenuator for a time in the Ella before I moved away from valves completely. I was very impressed with it but I ended up with the Django TVC. Not cheap but very good.

I use a 25K 24 point Goldpoint stepped attenuator , you can get a 47point one now as well.
Excellent quaily built using the elma switches and sounds transparent to me
Again though not cheep by the time yo get it to the UK and pay the VAT

http://www.goldpt.com/prices.html

Alan

Hi, the HiFi Collective stepped attenuators are in my B4 and Elliott preamp.
I have tested Alps and TDK potentiometers and found the channel matching poor, 20-25% difference present. The specifications of both potentiometers mentioned earlier are nowhere near those of a half decent stepped attenuator.
The stepped attenuators are not cheap but are well matched and sound good to me.
Cheers Andy.

I've been using the Khozmo in my system (remote, Vishay and Takman REX upgrades) and have been extremely pleased with the result. FWIW, it has displaced my trusty Dave Slagle autoformers/Shallco switch that I had been using for years - high praise indeed.

Whatever you decide don’t be tempted by the Chinese stepped attenuators on EBay! They are just a mass of cold solder joints!
I would just fit a TKD from hifi collective or even an Alps Blue.
I would buy the remote version and remote module for ease of use but that’s my choice.

I decided to remove my Alps Blues, 2 in my Sugden A21SE and another in my Creek OBH se. I opted for the Chinese stepped attenuators and am very pleased. 1 of the four I bought was a dud but given their price it’s not worth investigating why it gave up the ghost in one channel.A low level sludge has been removed.

advertisement

Back