advertisement

Which transformers are the best choice for a dual mono amp?

I'm in a similar position, a 'spare' 600va toroid with 30v secondaries may be pressed into service but I can't help feel it's a waste of this thing when it could drive a pretty hefty amp.

I'm in a similar position, a 'spare' 600va toroid with 30v secondaries may be pressed into service but I can't help feel it's a waste of this thing when it could drive a pretty hefty amp.

I'd agree with you there. The 300VA toroid I've used for mine was one of a pair that I bought for a project that didn't work out. Once I've verified that the buck works as required I'll hunt around for a more suitable transformer.

IME transformers do sound different to each other. I would go for one large transformer with 2 set of 30-0-30. That will give about 70W into 8R - enough for most applications.

What I would like to know is why some transfomers sound better than others. Can this extra cost be justified?:

http://www.intuneaudio.co.uk/Hi-Fi-...io-Grade/Nuvotem-Audio-Grade-Transformer-Naim
http://www.intuneaudio.co.uk/Hi-Fi-...-Grade/Toroidal-Transformer-Audio-Grade-600VA

3 X the cost for "Super annealed cores"

What does this mean?

Has anyone had good or bad experiences buying from Intuneaudio? Living abroad I don't know if this seller is reliable.

Hi Luca,

That 600VA Vigortronix transformer is the one I have on the sidelines and I *think* I may have bought it from InTune via ebay before I changed the design. It's available from lots of places and probably better buying from nearer home as it's a hefty beast and shipping will probably be quite a lot. £50 is pretty cheap though and it seems a fine enough example of coiled copper.....

Interestingly they seem to have amps for sale and regulated power modules too (as well as a Nait Mk1...green led though, can't compete with my red led one)...wonder what they're like.

I'd welcome suggestions! Would this be suitable for a Class 'A' build?

It would be a big and expensive class A amp but yes it should just about do it. Ideally you would want less volts and to go for less power. We are talking in terms of 70 - 75WPC with twin 30V secondaries so it could be ideal for a Krell KSA50 clone as they are 70WPC but 50WPC class A.

advertisement

Back