advertisement

Which speaker is best B & W 606, Dali oberon 3 or Kef Q350?

hski

pfm Member
Can some pfm's help mme decide which of these standmount loudspeakers to buy?
I'm veering towards the B & W's as they are bi-wired and have a natural tonal sound which i really like, the build quality on these is also superb as they look like new although they are over 10 years old. The Oberons also look good but no bi-wire and the kefs are a dark horse and don't think they're bi-wired. I listen to all sorts especially recently star-gazer music and i also game a lot, but they should be good at nearly everything,
Thanks!

Exactly as above.
Go & listen for yourself. They are all decent speakers, it will come down to your taste & other equipment in your system & room.
Also agree that biwiring brings little or no benefit. Definitely don’t use that as a criteria.

They could be bi, tri or 'whatever' wired but it doesn't mean they'll sound good to you on the end of your system in your room. HiFi is a very personal thing - listen and pick.

I'd usually avoid bi-wired speakers but OP may allready have some leads terminated as such.?
Or intend to bi-amp ?

Biwire crap links can create an unneccesary degration of performance, better to avoid if at all possible

Unfortunately some speaker-manufacturers feel a market pressure demand hence supplying biwire terminals even they admit its a con

If I was spending money on equipment that was relative a lot for that person I would always listen at home in your setup as suggested above if the outlay isn't a lot then it's worth taking a punt as you can just sell them on without much money lost. In my case last year I tried a pair of PMC 25-23s £3000 they didn't sound good at all so took them back on the other hand I've just brought a pair of Dali Oberon 1s to pair with a bluesound powernode 2i without hearing them although I have owned Dali speakers before if I didn't like them I would have either sent them back if new or when buying second hand moved them on fortunately they sound great lovely little speaker for the price hope this helps. As regards biwiring I wouldn't bother nothing to gain just more hassle with thick cables and connections.

I've stopped experimenting (most of the time) but have come to regard speakers and amplifier as a unit - some suit each other and your preferences, some don't. Which is why taking your amp to the dealer or bringing the speakers home for a demo is essential.

If at all possible try in the room; I loved by old B&Ws in my old house, it was impossible to get them to work here. Any good dealer will let you try at home before you buy, but may need a deposit if they don't know you.

Whichever sounds best to your ears is the one to go for! Don't worry about whether or not a speaker is bi-wire-able. It was a popular fad a while ago but makes little or no difference.

Great advice , b&w make great speakers and well worth buying . i have had a good many pairs and love them

advertisement

Back