advertisement

Which phono stage with P8/Apheta 2?

Hi Lee,

I did send you an email about this likely purchase a month or so ago but didn't receive a reply. Pretty sure it went through from my end.

PS Just found it - 18/06/19

Yes, I replied the same day. I also sent a follow up message on 5th July.

Arrived home from Poland last night and today I’ve got the Rega Fono MC and Bob’s Devices SUT to try out with the P8/Apheta 2.

First record up is the new one from Polypores: Flora, with the Fono MC doing phono stage duties.

EQ1tGKA.jpg

When you try the Bob's Devices, make sure you have it on the 1:16/150 Ohm setting. The 1:30 will give too much gain and 50 Ohms will be too low for your Apheta. There is a danger that neither is right and 150 will be too bright: I don't know how fussy the Apheta is. Fingers crossed. A shame I don't still have the Hashimoto HM-3; that would have been just about right.

Just saw your picture from July, Greg, but you really should move the SUT away from the phono stage; you've got it sat right on top of a transformer. Also, make sure you use really short cables in between the SUT and stage.

Just saw your picture from July, Greg, but you really should move the SUT away from the phono stage; you've got it sat right on top of a transformer. Also, make sure you use really short cables in between the SUT and stage.

Ah I was actually still using the Rega Fono MC when that photo was taken. The SUT was just sitting there for safety reasons. When I used the SUT I put it next to the turntable and had no hum at all. Thanks very much for the loan, it’s been really nice with the Croft valve stage. Shall pop it in the post this week. I’ve been playing the Wayne Shorter - Etcetera LP you mentioned in your Longdog review. Found it in HMV a couple of weeks ago.

I’ve been thinking of ordering the Music First Audio 632 SUT, as I know they have a good reputation. However, I did read that it shows the cartridge an impedance of 470 Ohms when used with a 47K MM input. Rega suggest 100 Ohm for their MCs, so it might not sound good. On the other hand, it could be a matter of taste. 14 day returns though, so maybe worth a try. I think the standard 1:10 ratio version should be enough with the 0.35mV Apheta 2.

Last edited:
If you're ever in the Nottingham area you're welcome to come and have a listen to the RSL stage, I think our systems are very similar so not a bad comparison to make.

If you're ever in the Nottingham area you're welcome to come and have a listen to the RSL stage, I think our systems are very similar so not a bad comparison to make.

Actually I moved to Nottingham last week, Matt! I’m off work the next two days btw.

Borrowed a Mo-Fi Studiophono (£299) today from a local dealer. The mono switch certainly works well with the mono LPs I’ve tried (Coltrane - Both Directions... & Boom-Jackie Boom-Chick) but overall it seems decent enough, if not particularly good.

advertisement

Back