advertisement

Which of the NAIM olive CD players is the best ?

I've only ever had the CD2 and CDS2/XPS. Dollar for dollar, the CD2 (with CDM9Pro mech) was better than the CDS2/XPS. Actually, I struggled to hear the difference between the two Naims. It wasn't nearly as difficult to hear the difference between the much MUCH better Densen B-400XS.

Funny how people hear things different

IMO the CDS2 are much better than the ok CD2 and much MUCH better than a Densen player

Best value for money is CD3. Great sound for the price.
Philips 1541 is probably the best DAC chip in history.

I tried them all at home before I settled on the CDS/CDPS; not as good as a $30 DVD player of course, but it does me!

IIRC the CDPS had 2 transformers; maybe to power the digital and analogue circuits separately?

Best value for money is CD3. Great sound for the price.
Philips 1541 is probably the best DAC chip in history.

Agree. A secondhand CD3 is great value these days and has a wonderfully alluring sound that really works wonders bringing jazz and rock music to life (It's still lovely on classical but a touch coloured). Try one with a Hi-line and be amazed..

The CDM9 mech is a good 'un and it's rare to have a total failure that can't be resuscitated. Most common fault is for the platter to drop - an easy fix.

Not sure about the Philips TD1541A being "the best DAC chip in history". It certainly has a character, and one that can be very attractive, but it also has weaknesses too.

IIRC the CDPS had 2 transformers; maybe to power the digital and analogue circuits separately?

I found this in the pfm archives in answer to a similar question:

+/- 23V analogue
+/- 10V servo/motor
+/+ 15V digital filter / DAC

The CD2 has one transformer, but with faraday shield (something Naim dropped in later players for cost I reckon) and four secondaries, separate analogue and digital supplies. Separate, sometimes cascaded regulators for every single thing. Like a refined one-box CDS, except I think the PCB layout is better. It's way ahead of the CD3.

I still use my CD2 daily - it's stonking (though admittedy I've, ahem, slightly played-with it)

Martin,

...one transformer, but with faraday shield

...four secondaries, separate analogue and digital supplies

...cascaded regulators for every single thing.
Sounds like something Scotty might have built, which is why discerning audiophile have them.

320x240.jpg

Joe

Thanks, Martin.

But all CD players sound the same, right?

Joe

Martin,

Ah, the triode-powered mnemonic memory circuit. A classic.

Joe

Indeed, and I'm not alone in my view. Have you actually lived with CD2/CDS2/B-400XS?

Having owned both Naim players for extended period they are among the very best cd-players out there IMO
Admitted not many want/need a 2-box player
The original CDi and CDS was even better but sadly no serviceable, cool toploaders

Heard several Densen players and never came on with any of these, sorry can't share your optimism for Densen gear

The CD3 was superb player ... purchased 2nd hand ... used for at least 5 years ... never a glitch ... mostly used with small single ended valve amps into Reference 3a Royal Master Control loudspeakers.

Owned the CDS and matching power supply for about 18 months. Lordy that was a beautiful sound. I thought it somewhat colored ... but by analogy it was like Technicolor ... overly rich but so much fun.

This combination had two issues:

1. I had to play CDs from beginning to end ... it didn't like jumping to specified tracks;

2. The power supply took forever to warm up and reach its maximum fidelity ... like just silly long ... over a week to sound great and almost two weeks to maximize ... and I don't believe in that silly stuff ... but that was my experience.

WTS

CDS: unbelievable when placed on a decent support which can be nothing more than a carpeted floor. My favorite hifi component of all time. This one nailed the coffin shut on vinyl for me.

CDS2: as good as my CDS is my CDS2 is considerably better with a cleaner top end and a complete absence of harshness in the upper mids which creeps up on occasion with the CDS. I'll be keeping mine until its wheels fall off.

advertisement

Back