advertisement

Which musicians have lived on your street ?

Roni Size lives over the road from an old friend of mine.

He also attended the same primary school I attended in different eras but Roni got expelled.

He gave the school the money he was awarded from the Mercury Prize.

I was asked to evaluate the electronic contents of his house as a clearance before RS became the owner.

Not musicians but I use to live 7 doors up from the "Bristol Old Vic Theatre School."

I love imagining Patrick Stewart and Gene Wilder sitting over the road on Clifton Downs, as did many others. :)

Benjamin Zephaniah used to live next door but one about 35 years ago in Stratford London. We all lived in short life coop Victorian terraced housing which would otherwise have been left to rot. At this time Benjamin was becoming well known locally for his poetry and music but hadn't yet become that well known more widely. He really was and remains a lovely guy whose Mum I recall made a fabulous butterbean stew! I think he borrowed my bass guitar at some point when making his first album.

Son in law's a French musician and writer and he's been to stay a few times.

First time he arrived expecting no decent food and after six weeks left with a changed opinion and an extra stone.

He's reroofing their house during lockdown but hopes to change back into a musician for a few summer gigs.
Is it Jean-Michel Jarre???

Mike Oldfield used to live not far away and I have visited his house near Hergest Ridge, The Beacon. Stunning location.

A friend of mine had a relationship with his sister Sally.

Mike used a pair of Quad ELS57's right up against a back wall, fyi. :(

My wife lived next door to the Grateful Dead in SF when she young. Pigpen would ride her tricycle at times, obviously in an altered state.
I thought Pigpen didn't, or only once, then decided to stick with booze. Which, of course sadly killed him.
Cool that your wife lived next door to the band though.

A friend of mine had a relationship with his sister Sally.

Mike used a pair of Quad ELS57's right up against a back wall, fyi. :(

I think Sally lived with him at The Beacon. We were staying in Kington, the town below Hergest Ridge, and got talking to an old dear in a cafe. She had lots of stories about Mike. The area is magical and the association with his finest work, the initial trilogy of albums, makes it something special.

I now live in Reading where Mike and Sally were brought up.

Not in my street but in the same class as me in school, David Baynton Power the drummer from James
Andy Weatherall and I were at Windsor Grammar School during together in the 70s, plus Tim Dorney and Johnny Male of Republica fame were a year or two behind us.

Andy Weatherall and I were at Windsor Grammar School during together in the 70s, plus Tim Dorney and Johnny Male of Republica fame were a year or two behind us.

Ah, so that's where Johnny went after Sensation. Not the world's best singer but I liked his stuff.

I lived in Keppel road, Chorlton, Manchester when I was a student there.
The Bee Gees also lived in that street many years previously. I think in their teens .

Remember chatting to a new guy at work & he mentioned that he used to live next door to the ‘guitarist from Dire Straits’, I’m guessing he came from money.

My son is friends with the son of the Def Leopard bassist, Rick Savage. Has been to his house a couple of times, a rather impressive pad in Dore.

Nearest I got was when one of the kids friends mum told us they were travelling to see grandpa who was back from touring, I wondered if I had heard of him and she said “Roger used to be in a band called “The Who”” Er yes, I had heard of him.

My son is friends with the son of the Def Leopard bassist, Rick Savage

Who used to drink regularly in the South Seas at Broomhill as did I.
I went to school with Joe Elliot the vocalist.
I also went to school with Stephen Singleton, the sax player in ABC.
And Jeremy Meek who has played bass with Simply Red, Joan Armatrading and others.
We both used to live on the same road when we were younger.

I don't think any musicians have lived on my current little street, however the house I've had an offer accepted on used to be owned by Pye Hastings from Caravan, and still has a garden room that he used to use as a studio.

advertisement

Back