Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which loudspeakers ought I listen to?

Discussion in 'audio' started by RobFTM, Oct 19, 2021.

1. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

I like Neat speakers and I like the Neat sound.

I have Momentum 5is upgraded by Bob in Barnard Castle from 4s and before that Elites which were originals and then upgraded by Bob to SEs. I like Neat speakers.

I have a Linn DS, a Naim 252 and a 300 and I want to do one last big speaker buy to last me for years. Clearly this would be Neat Ultimatums wouldn’t it? Well no as I’m not keen on them and TBH, I'm as shallow as a puddle but I'm not certain I could stand to look at them even bearing in mind all speakers are pretty ugly.

So now I’m not sure where to look as for the first time in 15/20 years I need to look elsewhere and beyond Neat. I’m thinking about Kudos and I have heard and like the 606s and 707s but where else ought I look given my preferences?

Thanks for the suggestions.

2. Ian G

Ian G pfm Member

Audio physic virgo

3. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Tannoy and Shahinian are the first that spring to mind

madscientist likes this.
  4. There are some lovely 707s in the classifieds.

Cheers BB

5. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

I'm very, very aware............

But before I jump I just would like to know what else to consider.

Rob.

Brown Bottle likes this.
  6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

what about those lovely lavardins at half the price

[​IMG]lavard 4 by , on Flickr

Frizzy and nmtjb like this.
  7. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

8. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

What a ridiculous thing to say. Speakers are the most erotic part of hifi. Find some you want to kiss and stroke. There’s a whole world out there beyond boring designs from Neat or Kudos.

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Predictably I will suggest ATC, preferably active & you could get rid of the NAP300 & it would be a relatively cost effective upgrade. Home audition is essential.

Better sound, fewer boxes. It’s what I did.

10. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

Shahinian, Russell K’s

johnacurtis likes this.
  11. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

For looks I think the vivid range take some beating, and sound fab. Needs lots of quality watts. Pass, luxman sort of stuff.

12. Cappuccino

Cappuccino pfm Member

+1 put high quality class A amps through them, magical

Frizzy likes this.
  13. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

Like what? As far as I can tell most speakers are wooden boxes, some with cloth grilles some without. What do you have in mind that are "beyond boring designs from Neat and Kudos" and within the context of the original post?

If you have something in mind, then show me what you kiss and stoke then.

Or are you going to suggest horns? If you are then don't waste your time replying thanks.

14. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

Itch about to be scratched, thanks.

Rob.

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

For context I went from CDX/XPS2, 252/SC & Nap250 - SBLs to ATC CDA2 - 40A’s. I don’t think I’m missing anything, quite the opposite.

16. madscientist

madscientist pfm Member

I went from Neat MFS Ultimatums to Shahinian Arcs then Obelisks...I have never looked back

17. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Do you have access to the internet?

18. jobseeker

jobseeker pfm Member

I just fell in love with a pair of Audio Physic Tempo 35

Tigerjones likes this.
  19. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I'd stick with the Neats and look for a new amp myself.

20. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

I do thank you, this is how I'm replying. Broadly speaking I said speakers are all ugly, you said they aren't, I asked for your opinion as to which were not. You replied with have I access to the internet.

The tide is well and truly out in banter bay isn't it?

I've never had need to use the ignore function in the 15 or so years I've been a member here but you have the honour of being the first. Congratulations.