advertisement

Which Linux?

It should be. For me it has been with Kubuntu, fast and reliable, as you say. But not with Manjaro. Do you burn the iso to the USB stick with a Linux programme? If so, which?

As I'm using an LTS, I haven't done an install for quite a while, and I can't remember which writer I found most reliable, unfortunately. However, the following spring to mind, so might be worth investigating (if you haven't already done so):-

SUSE Studio Image Writer
Etcher
ISOImageWriter
UNetbootin

Just to help I tried this and had no problems installing on an old i5 Dell.

This is what I did:

a) downloaded the KDE Manjaro 64 bit iso
b) used USB image writer that comes standard with Linux mint to 'burn' the iso to a USB stick
c) inserted that stick into the Dell then booted and at the splash screen keyed F12 and selected the stick to boot
d) once booted I installed Manjaro to a USB SSD drive.

All went smoothly.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks to Caledon and DV. I'll have a go with those writers suggested, or at least with those I can install on Kubuntu. I've used UNetbootin, which works fine with everything except Manjaro. So I'll seek out the one that comes with Mint, which should go on Kubuntu since they are both Debian family.

Thank you again!

If you still have trouble the problem may lie elsewhere such as the hardware. I am actually writing this in Firefox running in Manjaro that is running in a VM under Linux Mint.

It would appear that Manjaro is a fork of Arch Linux.

Installation was a breeze and the umpteen updates came to about 1.4GB.

Presentation seems neat but as ever time will tell.

Cheers,

DV

If you still have trouble the problem may lie elsewhere such as the hardware. I am actually writing this in Firefox running in Manjaro that is running in a VM under Linux Mint.

It would appear that Manjaro is a fork of Arch Linux.

Installation was a breeze and the umpteen updates came to about 1.4GB.

Presentation seems neat but as ever time will tell.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks, Darth.

Yes, it may well be hardware. But odd that it happens identically on 3 different computers. On the other hand....I have been making the bootable sticks all on the same computer, my Kubuntu desktop, so that might be an idea. Anyway, I'm just playing so I'll forget about Manjaro, since Kubuntu and Neon Linux install perfectly with a USB stick. Incidentally, Neon seems identical to Kubuntu, except that it comes with a bare minimum of programmes, the rest you have to add as needed. While Kubuntu already has everything in its package.

I have installed the 32 bit xfce version on an old core duo machine without any problems using the same Linux USB image writer to burn the iso to a USB stick.

At first blush the Linux Mint looks a lot better on this old machine.

So if you are still having trouble then "when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth". Or summat like that.

Cheers,

DV

I have installed the 32 bit xfce version on an old core duo machine without any problems using the same Linux USB image writer to burn the iso to a USB stick.

At first blush the Linux Mint looks a lot better on this old machine.

So if you are still having trouble then "when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth". Or summat like that.

Cheers,

DV

Indeed. I think it was either Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot.

Back in the day, if you weren't running FreeBSD you just weren't hip.
It used to be my default platform for a few years but then Apple adopted it for OSX and hired away many of the competent developers, FreeBSD 5 nonsense happened, and it rather lost it's way rather than forging ahead into a bright future in partnership with Apple. Anyone have any reasonably current experience?

Indeed. I think it was either Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot.
Look up "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier".

Applied carefully this has over the years helped me to solve many complex problems and even find solutions to things that were said to be impossible. The MD of one IT business where I was principal consultant once told me that "people shouldn't say that something was impossible as I just went ahead and did it". Some would say "the idiot didn't know it couldn't be done so he went ahead and did it".

Cheers,

DV

It used to be my default platform for a few years but then Apple adopted it for OSX and hired away many of the competent developers, FreeBSD 5 nonsense happened, and it rather lost it's way rather than forging ahead into a bright future in partnership with Apple. Anyone have any reasonably current experience?
I remember years ago when I was poking Leopard running on an IBM PowerPC CPU below the hood that I sometimes got Linux error messages! At the time I thought 'how lazy Apple could at least have edited out reference to Linux in modules that they adopted'.

Cheers,

DV

Having splashed out on a cheap S/H Dell Laptop for Ubuntu Studio I’m now joying to Ubuntu Core server on a rPi and various desktops.

Tis fun and I am recalling my ancient Unix days so instead of the polite ‘sudo shutdown now’ I use ‘sudo init 0’. Got the rPi to emit a 800x600 screen via HDMI to the TV.

You've resuscitated this thread, which makes me think you are a convert. If so, congratulations! I've not tried Uwuntu, but been using MX Linux (also Debian family) on all my machines for the past year or so with satisfaction.

You've resuscitated this thread, which makes me think you are a convert. If so, congratulations! I've not tried Uwuntu, but been using MX Linux (also Debian family) on all my machines for the past year or so with satisfaction.

No, not a convert. Still using an increasingly ancient OS X on a 2012 MBP. I don’t dislike Linux, I just don’t want to lose Logic Pro and several other apps!

As this thread resurfaced, thought I'd add my tuppence worth.
I've recently been dabbling with Debian as Mac Os is getting a bit jaded and raggy IMV

I was put off Linux years ago when I bought a cheap tablet or netbook with it on, I thought it was terrible, clunky menus and the graphics looked like they were designed for junior school kids.
RPi ownership got me back into it again but my first experiences didn't really alter those initial thoughts. I still can't stand the default RaspOs GUI.

However, some perseverance, reading around and playing led me to using initially Cinnamon and then LXDE which I actually find almost grown-up by comparison ;)

Long story a bit shorter; I currently have Debian 11 installed on a couple of RPis and dual-booting Macs and am finding it more and more something I could live with for day-to-day use.

Only thing I've not managed to get to work is triple-booting on a Mac Mini with M.OS and Win 10. For some reason Grub ignores the existence of Windows and booting via the keyboard doesn't offer Win as an option. Not a big deal - I don't really use Windows much either way - would just be cool to get it working.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the messy side of GRUB. I did manage to get a clean install of Windows, macOS and Linux Mint on Mac Mini that booted as it should. Then one day if I updated Linux without my brain fully engaged I'd find that GRUB had once again taken over my machines boot process. For a while I used RFIND as my boot loader. You can actually run this from a USB stick rather than install it. However after a while I decided to run Linux either stand alone or in a VM on Apple machines.

My main desktop runs Linux as my day-to-day OS and since my mobo controls which OS boot loader to use (rather like Apples startup manager) I can boot Windows without GRUB getting its nose in.

DV

advertisement

Back