advertisement

Which HiFi Magazine do you read?

Paulq2

pfm Member
I don't read these habitually but often have a speed read in supermarkets if I spot one. Which, if any, do people tend to read regularly?

HiFi World regularly, Stereophile once in a blue moon (most of their kit is too expensive for me)
There is not much choice in KL

Over the years I've subscribed to HiFi Answers, the Flat Response, HiFi World, HFNews&RR and HiFi+ - often several together but became disillusioned when I discovered that comparing kit from different price ranges often yielded surprises, and quite a lot of the stuff reviewed was so far beyond what I was prepared to spend, that it all became pretty irrelevant. I occasionally thumb through things is WHS, but walk away shaking my head, and on-line reviews and magazines are often well meaning but ultimately difficult to believe. My son worked for Haymarket for a time, and my respect for What HiFi was bolstered by the lengths they go to to make a unbiased assessment of the kit they review, but most of what they review is of little interest to me. I know what I want now, and how to achieve it and have largely done so, so I doubt if I will be making any major upgrades in the foreseeable future.

I have a subscription to HFN & RR, have had for quite a while.

Sometimes buy the other high street ones, especially if I am heading off on a holiday and want something to read.

I get Stereophile and HiFi+ in digital format. I also get HIFI Critic which is only available mail order direct from the publisher (and is my favourite).

Paper issue of Stereophile here. I’m not quite sure why I continue as so much is on their related YouTube channels these days, but I still enjoy the columns and the occasional review (I’m actually not that interested in current hi-fi, I found my own niche ages ago!). This month’s issue has a surprisingly good feature on the UK post-punk/new-wave/DIY scene with reviews of the Young Marble Giants, Gang Of Four, Au Pairs, Fall, Magazine, PIL etc, all of which one will obviously find in my record collection.

None. Haven't even bought one when hanging around airports and travelling in planes over the last few decades. Used to buy some in the 70s but even then it was more likely to be Wireless World or equivalent. Prior to the audiophile/subjective thing kicking off I did regularly browse the hi-fi magazines each month and buy ones with an interesting project, article or review. Afterwards I dropped home audio as a hobby interest completely.

None now.

It's something I eventually weaned myself off after developing a dependence and filling the house with magazines! Still got loads of them, can't quite bring myself to skipping them..

I quite like the idea of on-line subscriptions. I had a subscription to Wire magazine for a long time, but found that I hardly ever read it; not quite the same as flicking through and skim reading a proper magazine. I like the live links in the adverts though, anything of interest you can click and go straight through to the page. I've been thinking that I might revive my subs to Wire...

I sometimes buy WhatHifi ( which is also a superb online resource) HFN (since I was in my early twenties) and HFW. All great in their own way. Like the reviews, enjoy the personalities, value the experience of the scribes.
Both HiFi Plus and Stereophile mostly contain stuff who's price tags make me shake my head.
I dont subscribe to HiFi Critic because Martin Colloms ears appreciate different things to my own and so his opinions regarding sound quality dont have any value to me.

Last edited:
None. Haven't even bought one when hanging around airports and travelling in planes over the last few decades. Used to buy some in the 70s but even then it was more likely to be Wireless World or equivalent. Prior to the audiophile/subjective thing kicking off I did regularly browse the hi-fi magazines each month and buy ones with an interesting project, article or review. Afterwards I dropped home audio as a hobby interest completely.

I am sure I am not the only who misses Wireless World.

None. The best hi fi mag was always Wireless World (Changed to Electronics and Wireless World and then just Electronics World) but now defunct...
It was here that for example Peter Walker and Mike Albinson first presented their work on Current Dumping... and where DTN Williamson presented the Williamson amplifier.... and (IIRC) Peter Baxandall his tone control circuitry.

advertisement

Back