advertisement

Which full frame lenses for D850 ?

Colinb

pfm Member
Having bought a D850 I have no full frame lenses wider than 70mm ( I have Nikkor 70-200, 200-500 and 100mm macro FX lenses) as the ones for my D500 are DX lenses. So I need an FX lens for landscapes. What do people recommend? Can be Nikon or Sigma, Tamron etc. Happy to buy secondhand. Budget up to £1k

24mm f2.8 D - £450 new or c. £210 second hand, its a wonderful lens.
The current 24-85 and 24-120 are both very good too.

Colin,

If you want an ultrawide prime lens, a used Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art should come in under £1k. For very wide and wide, the Nikon 20mm f/1.8 and 24mm f/1.8 are great choices.

If you're after a good all-rounder zoom, a secondhand Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S is worth checking out.

Joe

With my Pentax K1 the lenses I use the most are a 24-70mm F2.8 and a 14mm F2.8 (I have the Sigma, which is crap and the Samyang which is very good) and those would be my choices to compliment the lenses you already have.

Back in my film days I used to use 24mm primes a lot but while I do use a 24mm F1.8 occasionally it doesn't get anything like as much use as the ones I mentioned above. It tends to get used mostly for low-light stuff.

Sigma Art 35mm f1.4, if I could have only one lens it would 35mm for FX and 24mm for DX.

The Sigma if very nice open this in Flickr and click on it twice.

Zigzag by Pete Maddex, on Flickr
Thats 8000 ISO

Pete

Reactions: Dev
Another vote for the Sigma Art 35mm. I have an 810, so not far off your setup, and I have the same long lenses. At the short end I have the Sigmas: 24, 35, 50. Tempted by the 85, but the 70-200 does that duty very nicely.
Happy shopping!

Thanks all. Plenty to think about there. Just remembered I already have a nifty fifty which hasn't been used in quite a while, so a 24mm would probably be the most likely choice, although anybody any views on the 14-24 2.8 afs, the 17-35 and 18-35 ?

Colin,

The 14-24mm f/2.8 is excellent, not to mention big and rather heavy. It's very popular with people who predominantly shoot landscapes and the night sky.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor1424/pool/

If you're shooting interiors with it, you'll likely want to apply some lens correction as it's not perfectly rectilinear.

Joe

I'm liking my very nifty 24mm f/2.8 AF-D (thanks alanbeeb!) : so light and compact - just spent a fortnight in Switzerland mostly walking with it on my D610 (full frame) and it was lovely - (see the Glacier pic that won the last photo theme 'Corner - and around'). It does flare - adds character!. I've not had much other experience of full frame wide angle lenses though so factor that in.

Here are a couple more..
Cabin and mountains by Ian123_running, on Flickr

No lens hood....
Cow by Ian123_running, on Flickr

The sharpest are the Sigma ‘Art’ series, nothing coming close to the 24-35 art zoom, but they’ll add bulk, and reports of back focus issues abound. In primes, The best compromise between cost, weight and optical quality are, IME, Nikon’s own 1.8 G series lenses.

I also have the 16-35 f4 the 24-70 f2.8 and the 35.70 f2.8

The 16-35 has s bit of distortion at 16 mm end but very nice and the vr is good, the 24-70 is a legendary the non vr ones are said to be sharper, the 35-70 is an old screw focusing lens but a cracker.
Which one would a grab first? The sigma art 35.

Pete

I'm liking my very nifty 24mm f/2.8 AF-D (thanks alanbeeb!) : so light and compact - just spent a fortnight in Switzerland mostly walking with it on my D610 (full frame) and it was lovely - (see the Glacier pic that won the last photo theme 'Corner - and around'). It does flare - adds character!. I've not had much other experience of full frame wide angle lenses though so factor that in.

Here are a couple more..
Cabin and mountains by Ian123_running, on Flickr

No lens hood....
Cow by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Here is one of mine with the Nikon 24mm f2.8 D

Glencoe entrance 1 by mr.noisy, on Flickr

I use a Nikon 24-120 f4 on my D810. It’s a good all rounder, not too heavy or bulky. I think it’s over £1000 now, but maybe you can find a secondhand one somewhere.

I'm a diehard fan of the older D lenses (screw drive). Whilst they can be a tad noisy, especially c/w the later G's, they're compact, robust, quick focusing and every example I've owned (20-2.8D, 50-1.8D and 1.4D and 85-1.8D) has been a little gem. They're also great value. My favourite is the 20-2.8D though...

Sunlight by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Air! by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I'm a diehard fan of the older D lenses (screw drive). Whilst they can be a tad noisy, especially c/w the later G's, they're compact, robust, quick focusing and every example I've owned (20-2.8D, 50-1.8D and 1.4D and 85-1.8D) has been a little gem. They're also great value. My favourite is the 20-2.8D though...

Sunlight by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Air! by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

That's the one downside of the Nikon Z system. The FTZ adaptor doesn't have a screw to auto focus the old D lenses. There are some real gems at reasonable prices in then AF-D range available on the second hand market.

PS - that's some impressive airtime on the scooter :D My 6 year old son has the same model and can't manage a jump like that!

@Lefty - too true re the Z System not being able to adapt to screw-drive lenses. A shame, as if they had done I'd be very tempted to jump to a Z6 or 7. I just love the Nikon UI after all. Perhaps they'll introduce a motorised FTZ in the future?

Oh Emma was a demon on that scooter, and good advert for how robust those Micro scooters are. :D

Manual focus is fun! The lens arrived today... after reminding myself of how good the 24 2.8 is, I had to get another.

Nikon z6 ftz 24-2.8
by mr.noisy, on Flickr

... Perhaps they'll introduce a motorised FTZ in the future?

Doubt it.... they want us to buy Z-series lenses! And they'd better get a move on releasing a wider range at not-stupid-prices - or Canon & Panasonic are going to eat Nikon's lunch.

If I was buying a mirrorless full frame now I'd probably be looking at the new Lumix S5, which already has a wider range of lenses available and support from Sigma too.

@Lefty - too true re the Z System not being able to adapt to screw-drive lenses. A shame, as if they had done I'd be very tempted to jump to a Z6 or 7. I just love the Nikon UI after all. Perhaps they'll introduce a motorised FTZ in the future?

Oh Emma was a demon on that scooter, and good advert for how robust those Micro scooters are. :D

I'd certainly buy a motorised FTZ adaptor if they did introduce one in the future. Unfortunately, I feel the chances of this ever happening are very slim. I can understand the commercial reasons for this as it would mean people would be less inclined to buy the newer Z lenses. To be fair, based on my experience of the Z lenses (I have the 24-70/4 and 50/1.8) they are optically stunning and a good step up over their AF-S and AF-D counterparts (but they aren't cheap!)

Haha - yes, they are bullet proof aren't they? Definitely a good buy. He loves zooming around on his Micro with the dog at his side :D

Lefty

advertisement

Back