advertisement

Which Fuji?

RoyleBlue

pfm Member
Just getting used to my Fuji X-M1 and love it except for the lack of viewfinder. So, any thoughts on the X-Pro1, X-E1 or X-E2?

They are all great cameras ( I have two of them!)

A few points that might help your decision

1) The X-pro1 is not as compact as theX-Es, not as pocketable
2) The X-Es have built in flash
3) The X-pro1 has both OVF and EVF. The X-Es only EVF
4) The X-E2 is faster focussing and the EVF is notably faster refresh
5) The X-E1 and X-Pro1 are available at bargain prices especially secondhand as lots of people have upgraded to the X-T1. Upgrading to a second hand X-E1 may only cost you around £100 once you have sold your existing body (the X-pro1 would cost about £200 to upgrade to
6) The X-E2 has no anti-Alias filter and in theory will produce sharper images

Another Fuji addict - I have an XE1, a X100 and a X10 - being an indecisive sort.

If I had to rescue one from the proverbial fire it would be the X100 and I am wondering if it's all I need.

The XE1 is a lovely camera, now a real bargain on sites like MPB photographic. I tried both the XE1 and the X pro and found the XE1 felt better in my hand , just a tad more compact.

The OVF/EVF wasn't and issue and I find I rarely use the OVF on the X100.

Given surest prices, I'd go for the XE1, get some extra lenses (35 + one other prime) and then thing about upgrading in a few versions time. It's a great value body at current prices and the you can collect lenses before doing a body upgrade in year or so if you feel you need it.

Kevin

Thanks. Recently handled an X-Pro1 and thought it was a tad big, but the X-E1 may do the trick.
Will give the X-M1 to the wife - any thoughts on the top price I should pay for a mint X-E1?

Just checked out the XE1 - it looks very interesting, especially with the free tele-zoom offer at the moment. Might have to think again about the Lumix FZ200 and go for the Fuji!

Thanks. Recently handled an X-Pro1 and thought it was a tad big, but the X-E1 may do the trick.
Will give the X-M1 to the wife - any thoughts on the top price I should pay for a mint X-E1?

I sold a mint X-E1 (only a month old - I'd pre-ordered an X-E2) for £350 last November, I bought the same camera back from the guy I sold it to for £275 in February, I'm keeping it now!!! It's great having multiple bodies with different lenses attached. At the moment the 14mm is welded to the X-E2and the 27mm to the X-E1

Hope that helps, but the free extra lens would be tempting and WEX are offering the X-E1 with 27mm for £449

Funny that, coming from my Canon 5D Mk II I find the X-M1 a bit small! The X-Pro1 I subsequently got feels about right sizewise to me but think I'll hang on to the M1.

Great cameras though.

Does the X-T1 really offer that much more than the X-E2, in reality they are pretty much the same with the exception that the EVF is larger and refreshes faster, but its a much bigger camera.

Also the rumours suggest that the X-E2 will get a firmware upgrade to give it more of the X-T1 functionality.

The 18-55 is a little bigger and heavier. Apart from the faster aperture it feel more solid and better built. Saying that the 16-50 is pretty good and well rated in reviews.

I ended up getting my 18-55 as a kit with an XE-1 for $600 AUD. The 55-200 should follow soon. That is a good all round kit.

That seems an incredibly good price! AUD 600 = GBP 334. I wouldn't hesitate at that price. My local dealer has the XE-1 with 18-55 for £589. But Fuji are giving away the XC 50-230 free if you buy the kit, so I am still very tempted!

I ended up getting my 18-55 as a kit with an XE-1 for $600 AUD. The 55-200 should follow soon. That is a good all round kit.

I certainly did not hesitate. They increased the price to $715 and have sold out. There is a deal for the XA-1 with 16-50 at $475. The 50-230 was on offer recently for $299.

I found on my recent visit that the UK is expensive for most camera gear except Lee filters which were a lot cheaper.

advertisement

Back