advertisement

Which Film scanner?

taffyboy1

pfm Member
Hi all,

I am looking to scan quite a lot of my old film negatives, what is the minimum spec film scanner needed to use in order to get comparable end quality compared to printing from the original negs?

are flat bed scanners any good?

any help most appreciated

Taffyboy1

A friend of mine on another audio forum is a professional photographer and I asked him the same question just before Christmas (for gentle hint purposes;) ). I told him my requirement was for something that would do good job on B&W negs and prints, colour negs and prints and slides. The answer I got was a very firm recommendation for the Epson Perfection V500 Photo.
I got one and am very happy with it.
Take a look.
As a bonus it also comes with a neat built in two button application to scan CD covers etc and file them as a 500 x 500 pixel jpeg to integrate with dbPowerAmp :) .
Cheers,
Dave.

Yes, flatbeds can be good - most people here use epson flatbed scanners. The pick of the crop is the epson V700, which takes 4 strips of 6*35mm frames, so you can setup and scan 24 frames in one go. It's around £400 though.

The epson v600 is the next model down, and this has room for 2 strips of 6*35mm, so 12 frames in one load on the flatbed. Image quality is basically the same as the V700 (technically not as good but there isn't much in it). These are around the £200 mark.

What sort of volume of scanning do you want to do?

If you have lots to do, you can also investigate a scanning service - i believe these come in around £1 per 35mm frame, so it's not exactly cheap, and I also believe they will offer discounts for large volumes.

Cesare

flatbeds like the Epson are OK
All in one flatbed scanners built into devices by companies like HP are less good
Dedicated scanners which used to be made by Nikon and Canon are better still, but getting rare second hand because you can't buy them new any more.

advertisement

Back