advertisement

Which European F1 race is the best to attend?

mondie

pfm Member
Forummers,

As we have quite a few F1 diehards and even a couple in the game, this seemed the best place to pose the question. I have been promising my son that I will take him to an F1 race for several years, and finally, we are doing it next year. The 2018 calendar has just ben released:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40326509

I am hoping to hear from race goers on which race is the best for ease of access, accommodation and of course spectating..... Spain, Austria, Hungary, Germany, Belgium, France and Italy all sound very appealing but I don't know where to start :confused:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Simon

I would strongly recommend Spa, it's quick to get to and has a great atmosphere. I've been to Germany, France, Spain and Monaco many times over the years, the only two that I consider these days are Spa and Monaco, with the latter that is mainly due to having a friend there, otherwise it is probably quite expensive.

Spa has a lot of atmosphere, the grand stand at the chicane before the start/finish line is a good one, though probably there is more overtaking on the Kemmel straight (near the end) towards Les Combes.

Spa is good and Barcelona is cheap and fun also. Monaco for the general 'being there' vibe, British GP is a great day out just soooooooooo expensive, my boys loved it there.

Also the Italian races are good fun and great places to visit.

I would choose a race that doesn't involve camping (unless that is your thing).

Hungary is very accessible.

Hockenheim is next to the motorway - never been there, but I've driven past. Not too far from Speyer, which is an interesting town in itself.

Thanks for the comments and I note the wide range of opinions, hence why I dont know where to start for our first foray.

Spa appeals as we could drive over and make a holiday of it.
Spain does too, well, because its Spain

Acess is a big consideration for us and I wondered if Austria was good in that regard, good to know Hungary is and if Hockenheim is next to a motorway that should be a big plus. Silverstone doesn't appeal as it seems poor value and not being British, I have no emotional ties to the track.

Monaco is probably best saved for when its just the mrs and I.

So thats not too many eliminated of the list yet then :)

Austria is a bit in the middle of nowhere, lots of camping, small village down the road. Some wonderful local scenery and places to stay but a little more slower paced in the area if that suits your trip well worth a visit.

I've only been to Silverstone and Monaco, the latter on a whim while on holiday nearby. I could only get Pelouse Rocher tickets but was surprised at how cheap they were compared to the stands. Of course, you can't see anywhere near as much but the vibe is great and the noise just as cacophonous.

We have been to Spa, Barcelona, Silverstone, Singapore and Malaysia- Singapore followed by Spain are our favourites.

I've not been to Monza or Spa, but I'd have difficulty choosing between the two. I can't imagine the atmosphere at Monza, what with the Tifosi and the history. Spa is just plain awesome.

Germany? A shadow of what was.
Monaco? If I was given a ticket/balcony, definitely.

Hockenheim or Spa camping for me. Take plenty of beer, good music and be prepared to take the **** out of German drivers for fun. I like the banter and the alcohol fuelled atmosphere though. Always good natured when I've been.

Visiting Monaco is only really worth it if you do it in style and go for the sheer indulgence - expensive.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking to be surrounded by financially astute foodies or Johnny Foreigner out for some fun?

Hi Rug doc, I missed your reply sorry. My son will be 15 so camping would be fine. Thanks for the link, will check it out. Spa appeals as we can turn it into a summer driving holiday. Agree on Monaco Merlin, doing it on a beer budget probably destroys the glamour somewhat, prefer to see it on the box.

Cheers

advertisement

Back