advertisement

Which dSLR camera

Hmmmm... don't know about the 18-200, but I never came across a 28-200 lens which was any good, so I wouldn't expect much of an 18-200. Isn't it terribly slow?

worth pointing out that as a "DX" lens its equivalent to a 28-300 from the D series.

Cliff

John,

Hmmmm... don't know about the 18-200, but I never came across a 28-200 lens which was any good, so I wouldn't expect much of an 18-200. Isn't it terribly slow?
If you want a single lens to cover a broad range of focal lengths from Nikon, this would be the one to get. The main issue with the 18-200mm is the barrel distortion at the wide end, but it's otherwise far better than you'd expect for a super zoom. It is a bit slow, too, but VR allows you to shoot at longer shutter speeds, so that partly makes up for it.

Years ago I would have drooled over such a lens, but these days I find I'm using weird old glass, like the 55mm f/1.2, much more often than a zoom. I brought it into a camera store a while ago to see how it worked on a Fuji S5 and the sales clerk was just drooling over the lens. He's young and knows nothing about the old-fast-prime-manual focus days, so he was just in awe that such fast lens exists.

"Whoa, it's an f/1.2, man! That's like so waaaay faster than my zoom. So, like, does Nikon still make them?" [Paraphrased, but that was the gist.]

Joe

advertisement

Back