Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Classic Amplification?

Discussion in 'audio' started by ASenna04, Sep 26, 2021.

?

Which Brand

1. Naim

23.1%
  2. Meridian

5.8%
  3. Quad

32.7%
  4. Linn

11.5%
  5. Other - Please state

42.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Agreed - some of the Naim kit mentioned above (e.g. 42/110) is over 40 years old and apparently still too young to be classic HiFi?

Julian was making bolt down 160s over 50 years ago and the 250 is 46 years old

Linn Wakonda/LK140 ceased production in 2006 so that's fair enough

2. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

My grandma was a classic (for me)

Charlie_1 likes this.
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Unquestionably. It’s impossible to think of designs such as the LP12, Planar 3, SL1200, Gyrodeck, ‘chrome-bumper’ Naim, early Audio Research, Krell, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, early Maggies, Apogees, LS3/5As, silver-face Pioneer, Marantz etc as anything other than classics. If people are still talking about a hi-fi product and actively seeking out good examples on the second hand market 30, 40 or more years later it is a classic, simple as that. Some are still in production too, e.g. SME V, Gyro, LP12 etc.

Charlie_1 likes this.
  4. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

Garrard 401/SME 3009/V15 - QUAD 33/303 - QUAD ESL57s. Now that is Classic!

rstloup and boon like this.
  5. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

So in the year 2099, will only pre-1940 equipment still be antique?

"Complete nonsense."

John likes this.
  6. G T Audio

Probably, as 99% of Hifi made after 2000 will long be in land fill…

Curtis and RJohan like this.
  7. Jezzer

Jezzer eats shoots and leaves

Harman Kardon, Luxman….

ff1d1l likes this.
  8. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Wot no high end Jap stuff from the 70s/ 80s?

9. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

In which case an extant amp from 1999 would be modern kids' stuff, all bells and whistles and still 40 years shy of "classic" status, let alone "antique" status at a sprightly 100 years of age?

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

FWIW part of my decision process for buying the Pass Aleph 3 class A amp I landed recently it’s just hovering just on the brink of ‘classic’ status and is likely not any financial risk to own long-term. It may even prove an investment. Whilst only 25 years old it is an innovative and highly rated early amp from one of the most respected current high-end designers, and most importantly it is reliable, remarkably simple, and fully documented with the full schematic freely available. I’ve already fully recapped it so it should have a long life ahead. Maybe not a classic right this minute, but I suspect it will be in time.

11. boon

boon pfm Member

And I expect that 1% will be the solar powered LP12 sungo

12. herb

herb music live

And what rubbish it was back in 1974,

Garrard 401 rumbled - it needed a proper plinth
    SME 3009 was too lightweight for a decent cart
    V15 was so undynamic it made classical music a dirge
    Quad 33 was poor until you hit the CANCEL button
    Quad 303 was excellent into ESLs despite dealer recommendations
    ESL57s fantastic once you put them on lightweight rigid spiked stands

FM radio was great with a big Japanese tuner and reel to reel Akai deck, that was where the real action was:)

Old amps - Exposure 6/7/8 gets my vote after 20 years trouble free service

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  13. Timcat

Timcat pfm Member

I understand that you don't consider kit from the 70s to be classic, but the OP might well do. If so, he should steer well clear of the 70s Leak sold state amps. They were all stinkers even when new! Now the older valve kit.... a different matter entirely!

14. dogscanskate

dogscanskate New Member

Nobody has mentioned Nytech and Crimson and the wonderful A&R Cambridge A 60.

Nytechy likes this.
  15. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on a Pioneer PLC-590 turntable to go with my Pioneer C-21/M-22 class A amp and Yamaha NS-1000M combo.

16. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

+1 for the A60, wonderful wooden music box !

17. G T Audio

The Leak Stereo 30 and 70 were good amplifiers in the day. However, when the Rank Organisation bought Leak in the 1970s the emphasis was on the aesthetics. I do remember some of their receivers were quite good though, maybe not quite as good as Rotel, but not far short.

18. Timcat

Timcat pfm Member

If I recall correctly, the Delta 70 replaced the Stereo 70 in the early 70s but that the circuitry behind the facias was the same. A friend had the Delta 70 at the time and it was unreliable and dull sounding. Not a patch on the contemporary Quad 33/303 or, for that matter, Rogers Ravensbourne (which I recall sounded far better). As for build quality, I'm not surprised that very few of these Leak amps have survived, whereas there is a plentiful supply of 303/33 combos and, for that matter, contemporary Rotels, Sonys, Kenwood/Trios and other well made far eastern amps.

Maybe the earlier pre-Rank amps used better quality components, I don't know!

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

IIRC some of the later Rank ones actually were Rotels!

20. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

By 2099 we will all be landfill as far as Insulate Britain activists are concerned.

G T Audio likes this.