advertisement

Which CD only release would you like on vinyl.

Glad it's not just me. A wonderful collection of brass band music irrespective of the film release, but I thought a tweeter had blown or part of my stereo had a fault the number of times it was distorting, clipping etc. After much testing and switching of cables I realised it's on the CD. Wouldn't surprise me if the technical guys weren't experienced in the huge and often sudden dynamic changes in brass band music.
Properly recorded, it has the potential to sound really fantastic. But having recorded sound for a movie, you'd expect they'd have adjusted for those transients? Unless they were told not to bother, probably budget-dependent?

Would love to see the latest albums of folk music legend Ramblin' Jack Elliott released on vinyl.

"Friends of Mine" (1998) and "The Long Ride" (1999) were released on Hightone Records as CDs only. Both albums were produced by the slide guitarist Roy Rogers.
In the noughties Ramblin' Jack Elliott released another two fine albums on ANTI-: "I Stand Alone" (2006) and "A Stranger Here" (2009), the latter being an album of blues covers (ranging from Blind Lemon Jefferson and Blind Willie Johnson to Tampa Red and Walter Davis) produced by Joe Henry.

Bill Laurance, Live at Union Chapel.

Love the music (sans the bonus tracks), but there seems to be something fundamentally disjointed and incoherent about the sound quality - I have the 24/48 version and I presume the CD is no better. I hear the same on my speakers and IEMs. I suspect the root cause is to do with too much or wrong processing, presumably digital, but there's always a chance wherever the problem lies they can re-do it from there for another (e.g. vinyl) release.

After a few plays now I can listen through the perceived issues (though I l'd prefer not to have to).

Last edited:
Says in here it will be released:
BBC News - 'Everybody warmed to George Michael' - manager on life with the singer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47552136

Thanks Weekender.
That is good news. It doesn't give an indication of when, but Older sounds like it is in the pipeline and that David Austin recognises the demand for a vinyl reissue.

I do hope they do a good job. I would be happy to see it issued as 2 x !2" 45rpm - (unlikely)

Would love to see some albums by the Texas singer/songwriter and rock musician Alejandro Escovedo to be released on vinyl.

"With these Hands" (1996) was released by Rykodisc on CD only. The album was produced by Stephen Bruton. "Put You Down", "Crooked Frame", "Pissed Off 2am", and "Tired Skin" are some of the most wonderful tracks on that album.
"Bourbonitis Blues" (1999) was released on Bloodshot Records. Produced by Chris Stamey.
And finally "The Boxing Mirror" (2006), released by Back Porch Records. Produced by The Velvet Underground's John Cale.

Although these albums were released on different labels, none of them was ever published on vinyl.

The Durutti Column's "Obey The Time". Promo-only LPs were made but AFAIK no general release on vinyl. This was the album that persuaded me to buy a CD player.

R-72274-1174043874.jpeg.jpg

:)
I notice it's a Record Store Day release. Double LP too

The Durutti Column's "Obey The Time". Promo-only LPs were made but AFAIK no general release on vinyl. This was the album that persuaded me to buy a CD player.

R-72274-1174043874.jpeg.jpg

:)

Obey The Time was released on vinyl by Factory in 1990. It is being re-released for RSD 2018 with an extra live LP from the period and also on a three pack cd by James Nice's Factory Benelux outfit. Details are here:

https://factorybenelux.com/obey_the_time_fbn274.html

It is a very decent pressing. Here is a photo taken this morning:
47597621541_8862328d67_z.jpg

Original LP at the back, FBL at the front. I would expect the new 2LP to be re-released on black vinyl later in the year if the RSD pressing sells out.

I’m far from complete on DC (I have about 6 or the albums) but I really like it so wouldn’t want to shift it. I really like the mastering and pressing quality of all the Factory stuff I have, but as ever with ‘80s pop/rock you need to find copies that were initially bought by people like me who dropped the vinyl straight into a Nagaoka inner to protect it from inevitable damage from the hard card inner. Obey The Time has a known issue, at least I've heard several people report it, and that is a jump/stick on the last track on one side. I haven’t played my (absolutely mint) copy for a while but I always remember it having it.

I am a failed DC completist as I don't have the 'For Patti' 7", and have never seen one. My original copy of Obey The Time does not skip on the last track. However, my copy of Vini Reilly, and every other copy I have heard, skips on 'My Country'. Thankfully, I sourced white labels of Vini Reilly and The Guitar and Other Machines around the time of issue and neither skip.

Would love to see vinyl releases of the albums of the Tucson/Arizona desert rock band Greyhound Soul.
Fronted by singer and guitarist Joe Peña, they play a raw and rowdy, and at the same time stripped-down desert rock in the Sand Rubies / Giant Sand / Sidewinders tradition.

They released four studio albums:
Freaks (Redbeard, 1996)
Alma de Galgo (808, 2001)
Down (808, 2002)
Tonight and Every Night (Re-silence, 2007)

There were multiple copies of Durutti Column’s Obey The Time and The Floyd mono LP at Rough Trade East yesterday (amongst loads of other RSD LPs)

Would like to see the first three albums of the progressive bluegrass band The Greencards released on vinyl:

Movin' On (2003)
Weather and Water (2005)
Viridian (2007)

Their debut album "Movin' On" was self-released, later re-released by Dualtone Records. Dualtone also released the follow-up albums "Weather and Water" and "Viridian".

advertisement

Back