advertisement

Which camera for product taking?

Dvddvd

pfm Member
I currently sell items on eBay and use a cheap fujifilm fine pix 4400 bridge camera. It's 14m pixels.

I tried to take some more photos of items I'm selling and the photos all look amateurish with bad lighting etc and bad backgrounds. It was a dull day and was indoors.

I've seen the light box tents but some of my items are bigger than the biggest tent 80 x 80cm.

So I've ordered a 7 foot X 5 foot backdrop and two 135 watt soft light box lights with stands, my daughter has another 2 X 135watt lights with umbrellas and stands.
Ive also bought a tripod and will be able to set everything up in a spare room and hopefully get more profession looking photos.

I could use my old camera still or buy something second hand to improve on it ?

The only thing I'd like on a camera what my old one does not have is a remote control? I normally if using a tripod I use the timer so there's no movement when I push the shutter button.

Could anybody recommend a cheap second hand camera make model which would improve on my Fuji bridge camera? Which has an remote?

Plus any tips on taking product photos ? I've always used the automatic settings on a camera, but if I have good light and its stable, maybe it's time I explore the manual settings?
Thanks

With good lighting, your current camera should work fine. A mixture of light position and settings should help the image quality. There are plenty of lighting tutorials in YouTube that might give you some ideas for positioning the lights to best effect - if you have four, the sides, above and behind/below might work. Exploring the settings can help make sure you’re exposing for the right part of the image: if the background is a light colour, and the object is dark, you want exposure to be based on, or balanced for, the object, etc.

How deep are the objects you are photographing. If they are deeper than the depth of field of your lens then you will have a picture with only part of the picture in focus.
This can be overcome with focus stacking ie take a series of pictures with the focus point further away and then using software to merge all the images into one sharp image.

See
https://petapixel.com/2014/09/07/tu...-using-photoshop-feature-probably-didnt-know/

also search on the terms "Focus Stacking" and "Focus Bracketing".
The camera I have does incorporate these featurs and will produce a blended image that is fully in focus. However the camera is not in the scope of your question. However the technique is.

advertisement

Back