advertisement

which cable for speaker innards?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Need something decent for cabinet innards...amp to crossover is Van Damme 4mm OFC stranded. They do a 2.5mm but is it too thick to solder well? Is so, what's a good bet please...only need about 2m in all and it needs to be
solderable &
flexible

Thanks.

For crimped connectors use stranded, direct soldering to speaker tags I prefer single core as I can solder it quicker and there is no risk of stray strands

2.5mm is a good compromise as it can be soldered easily and not to heavy as to strain the driver terminals.

For my 1st speaker project (Celestion Ditton 66) I used basic stranded tin plated OFC from Maplins, not sure of gauge but probably between 0.5mm2 or 0.75mm2. I used it for both crossover-speaker wiring and also as point-to-point crossover links, but the latter in hindsight would have been better served by solid core wire to prevent splaying.

For my 2nd speaker project (again Celestion Ditton 66) I used Van Damme Studio Blue as I use 2.5mm2 Van Damme Studio Blue between amp and speaker. However I chose 1.5mm2 for the internals as I thought it would be easier for a novice solderer to work with. I also stripped the entire outer jacket off to shed weight and relieve strain from the driver terminals. This time I used solid core OFC for the point-to-point crossover wiring.

As for a comparison between the budget Maplins stuff and Van Damme, can't say I noticed any difference in sound TBH!

PS - I could be wrong but I think Tannoy use silver Van Den Hul for internal hook-up wire on their recent models?

PPS - @Rockmeister, aren't your LSU crossovers already cabled up, or are you looking to upgrade them?

For my 1st speaker project (Celestion Ditton 66) I used basic stranded tin plated OFC from Maplins, not sure of gauge but probably between 0.5mm2 or 0.75mm2. I used it for both crossover-speaker wiring and also as point-to-point crossover links, but the latter in hindsight would have been better served by solid core wire to prevent splaying.

For my 2nd speaker project (again Celestion Ditton 66) I used Van Damme Studio Blue as I use 2.5mm2 Van Damme Studio Blue between amp and speaker. However I chose 1.5mm2 for the internals as I thought it would be easier for a novice solderer to work with. I also stripped the entire outer jacket off to shed weight and relieve strain from the driver terminals. This time I used solid core OFC for the point-to-point crossover wiring.

As for a comparison between the budget Maplins stuff and Van Damme, can't say I noticed any difference in sound TBH!

PS - I could be wrong but I think Tannoy use silver Van Den Hul for internal hook-up wire on their recent models?

PPS - @Rockmeister, aren't your LSU crossovers already cabled up, or are you looking to upgrade them?
This is just to connect the crossover to the drivers.

If you wanted to be "clever" on the low pass section of the crossover you could buy a higher value inductor, unwind a few turns until you get the value you need and then you have the same material going all the way to the drive unit.
I have never really understood why people use "super" copper in the innards of the speaker as the inductor copper length in the crossover is considerably longer than any wire connecting the crossover to drive unit.

Or you could think of the hair-thin copper wire used for speaker coils (probably ten metres in a woofer) and stop worrying about cabling altogether.

This is just to connect the crossover to the drivers.
The crossover should already be cabled up with a 4-pin plug:
lightest

advertisement

Back