advertisement

Which Burndy?

Richard Lines

pfm Member
Good Morning All,

I'm hoping to secure a NAC 52 c/w Supercap in the none too distant future!! This means I'll be able to put one Supercap on driving my SNAXO 3-6 but I won't have a suitable Burndy as the Supercap is currently driving a NAC82.

My question is that there appear to be three Burndy cable options:-

1. The genuine Naim article
2. The Witch Hat version
3. The Terry Pardo version

What views do forum members have?

Regards

Richard

I'm biased because I designed the WH Burndy. As far as I know all the others take the signal and power down the same multi-core cable. Mine splits it out into screened power and screened audio and keeps them separate, this reduces noise and helps dynamics. Perhaps some of our customers could chime in with their thoughts?

I'm biased because I designed the WH Burndy. As far as I know all the others take the signal and power down the same multi-core cable. Mine splits it out into screened power and screened audio and keeps them separate, this reduces noise and helps dynamics. Perhaps some of our customers could chime in with their thoughts?

Just curious, have you measured the difference in power supply noise rejection?

I used to use a chc burndy after buying a 555ps, had a naim one too and no audible difference. Same parts used in the connections, slightly thicker cable but more flexible and easier to work with. Only difference was 3-400 in cost compared to naims cable

Paul,

Thanks for the reminder I did write to CHC and they replied quoting a cost so I guess the question should now be which of the following four options would forum members consider 'best':-

1. The genuine Naim article (£515)
2. The Witch Hat version (£257)
3. The Terry Pardo version (£198.09)
4. CHC version (£275)

Regards

Richard

If anyone is interested I have just discovered that after my Linn/Naim clear out about 7/8 years ago that I still have an original grey Burndy marked NA-52. A reasonable donation (considering what you would pay s/h) to pfm (Tony) and then send me a pm with your address secures it. Obviously after all this time I can't guarantee it nor test without any kit but there is no reason to suspect it won't work.

Cheers,

DV

Among all the other Naim lore (selected input on 'record' to be as far from the 'listen' one, etc), I distinctly remember one tweak being to reverse the direction of the Burndy from whatever was recommended.

And no, I'm not necessarily recommending it....

advertisement

Back