advertisement

Which BNCs for Audio?

Johnny Blue

I made it to 'Member'!
Sorry, another question from this raw beginner: I need (want!) to knock up a special DIN (Naim pre-amp tape out) to BNC (Naim pre-amp input) connecting lead.

The DINs are easy (Preh for locking ring, Deltron for latching), but I'm bewildered by the array of BNCs: 50 ohm/75 ohm, RG-58/RG-59, audio/computing/CCTV.

What are the BNCs of choice for (Naim) hi-fi use?

They are the 50ohmBNC version but for Phono in only.Naim recomend DIN for every thing else, can't say if they are correct never bothered to compare with phono's.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, that's a good point, I could just as easily use the DIN input on the pre-amp: I've side-tracked myself by adapting the BNC (actually phono) inputs to take line level, forgetting the Naim recommendation re: DINs.

I assume you have a pre with 2 sets of BNCs for phono input 1 & 2. Why not fit a set of phono sockets to input 2? I replaced the BNC on my 72 with phonos and heard no difference in sound quality. It also gives more choice when selecting cables.

Hi Andrew

Scared of devaluing my 32.5 by bodging the phono socket soldering! (And see the other thread where leaving stuff as standard for possible re-sale came up, even though I'll probably never sell it!)

My OCD manifests itself in so many, many ways...

What value..? Are you a dealer or something..? Get your iron out laddie, gird your loins and get cracking - that's an order.

Two reasons:

a) I'm a woos, and,

b) it'll only lead to yet another daft thread from me:

**Girly Voice**: 'Help! What RCA sockets should I use?'

JB, there's a young lady just started here at Avondale and her soldering is some of the best I've seen. She learned the tricks of the trade by sitting with John and Ben. The rules are quite simple and there's any number of qualified bodgers on PFM who i'm sure, would take you through the rudiments and show you how to go on.

Don't think for a moment that you can't do it.....am I correct men..??

Shuffles off into the abortion dept that exists under the desk in his office.

"Hell yeh Les we never mess up..."

(Forgive me father for I have lied, it has been two weeks since my last slip of the soldering iron).

JB: the CMC silvers on hificollective are very good, i used them to replace a flakey set of WBT Nextgens. Frankly- they all sound the same.....(Posh ones are just bragging points).

advertisement

Back