advertisement

Which belt for a Rega Planar 3?

Pinky

In suspense, not compressed
I think it's about time the old girl had a new belt. She's running audibly fast (about 34.6rpm if my rpm measuring app is anything to go by).

Current belt is a rather old standard Rega black jobby. I'm hoping a new belt will cure the speed problem? The 2 replacement contenders on my shortlist are Rega White Belt and Edwards Audio Blue Belt.

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences on the way to go with this. Thanks!

I doubt that replacing the belt will alter the speed by the amount required. However, I would go for the Rega white option.

Is it 34.x RPM under load, ie playing a record? That's excessive.

Platter speed off load is a function of relative pulley sizes and unless a changed belt sits at a different height on a pulley then it makes no difference. Nevertheless a white belt is reckoned to be better, I don't know why.

It's 34.6 when not under load, if the app on my phone is to be believed. It does sound audibly fast too which is why I checked it in the first place.

I have my doubts too whether a new belt will cure this. Nothing else has been changed on the deck though, it's all as standard. It's a late 80's model so getting on a bit. I'm not really sure what else could have gone wrong. It doesn't get used much though.

It could be that the capacitor(s) in the quite basic power supply need replacing - cheap and easy to do (electrolytic capacitors do age and rise in resistance).

.... if the app on my phone is to be believed.

Have you tried simply counting the number of revolutions per minute, rather than using an app?

Piece of masking tape or similar on platter, 1, 2, 3, ..... 33.33333 ....

I've tried the iPhone app and it's reasonably accurate (counting platter rotations is a bit boring - but accurate :)). If you PM Paul Darwin on this forum he is the Rega representative and it very helpful.

I changed to the white belt - only because the black had been on the deck for many, many years and I figured a new one might be a good idea. I can honestly say it made not a blind bit of difference. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Both belts sounded exactly the same.

Pinky,

Where are you in the world, have you ever had the deck serviced, is it standard or "modified", have you owned from new, in the short term I would suggest you get the deck to a local dealer for a look over as it is nearly 30 years old.

Best,

PD

Good idea about measuring a manual count, thanks. Having just done that it confirms what the app tells me as it's coming in at about 34.4 rpm I reckon.

Paul - Thanks for coming in on this. I'm in South West UK. Deck is completely standard and has been in the family since new although it wasn't me that originally bought it. It had a bearing oil change about 5 years ago but that's about it other than the occasional cartridge change. It's not been used for a while and as you say, she's getting on a bit. I'll go with your suggestion of getting a dealer to look it over.

Pinky,

That would be best, if you go to our web site, look under the dealer section tab and then enter in your post code it will bring up your nearest dealers,

Best,

PD

I have a Planar 3 that I bought in the late 80s like yours. I am going to splash on a new 24v motor next month as I managed to bag a s/h TTPSU here on PF- apart from the sentimental value, beautiful associated memories and soundtrack of my life appeal it's worth the investment.

Mine has a lot of nostalgia attached to it too so I defintely want to get it fixed.
I thought about doing the 24v motor upgrade but something keeps stopping me. I suppose when I stop to think about it there are two things at play: 1) I like the thought of keeping the deck as original and 2) I'm concerned that I may not like the change it brings. Silly really I suppose!

advertisement

Back