advertisement

Which Bach Matthew Passion?

AndyU

pfm Member
So, which Bach St Matthew Passion should I listen to this Easter?

(Already familiar with Suzuki, John Butt, Gardiner, Herreweghe, Harnoncourt.)

Well for a change, how about Riccardo Chailly with the Leipzig Gewandhaus? Modern instruments but not in any way slow or heavy.

I like the Klemperer. At least a full side slower than everyone else, nothing even remotely close to historical accuracy, but it just works somehow. I’ve got the original Columbia SAX vinyl.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I like the Klemperer. At least a full side slower than everyone else, nothing even remotely close to historical accuracy, but it just works somehow. I’ve got the original Columbia SAX vinyl.
A wonderful recording, it just shouldn’t work at his speeds but it does, such was the command Klemperer had on proceedings. Almost enough to make me believe in something!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I rarely listen to this work and have only heard three versions. The only one I return to is Paul McCreesh's. Swift, light, transparent, yet still dramatic. If OVPP is not your thing, take a pass.

Thanks for that link, I hadn't read it.
The CD's were a gift a couple of months ago and I have only had the one listen, I'll definitely be listening again this Easter.
I do though also have and like both the Klemperer and the Harnoncourt versions.
Cheers. I’ve had a Qobuz subscription for several years now, so I am truly spoiled for choice - it’s currently offering me 52 different possibilities, but I think I will go with the Pichon.

I rarely listen to this work and have only heard three versions. The only one I return to is Paul McCreesh's. Swift, light, transparent, yet still dramatic. If OVPP is not your thing, take a pass.
McCreesh is the one I keep returning to. I have Richter (early and later), Harnoncourt, Herreweghe, Gardiner. All have good points (eg Fischer Dieskau on the first Richter) but as you say, McCreesh is swift, light and transparent and a joy.

If you are within striking distance of Birmingham there's always Ex Cathedra at Symphony Hall, 14:00 Friday.

I'll be there to hear the Matthew Passion all the way through for the first time. A bit far from my usual Romantic diet, but I'm rather excited!

If you are within striking distance of Birmingham there's always Ex Cathedra at Symphony Hall, 14:00 Friday.

I'll be there to hear the Matthew Passion all the way through for the first time. A bit far from my usual Romantic diet, but I'm rather excited!
Can I suggest you take a copy of the text (with translation) and follow it? Understanding what is being said intensifies the experience enormously.

https://gbt.org/music/St_Matthew_text.pdf

I have the McCreesh recording..... but I'm afraid the one-voice-to-a-part thing just doesn't work for me (surely Bach would have had larger choral forces available?) and the suspension of disbelief does not occur for me with this performance. Whereas it absolutely does with JEG/EBS on Archiv and Harnoncourt's later Musicus Concentus Wien recording. And with Chailly's modern Leipzig recording - which surprisingly has generally quicker tempos than even McCreesh/Gabrieli! But would be my 3rd choice after Gardiner and Harnoncourt.

I'm going to give Klemperer a go though.....:)

I have the McCreesh recording..... but I'm afraid the one-voice-to-a-part thing just doesn't work for me (surely Bach would have had larger choral forces available?)...
From what I've read, the church in Leipzig of which Bach was Kantor has two galleries opposite each other and Bach filled them, which determines the division of bands/choirs and the maximum number of performers in an authentic recreation of what he heard.

I don't doubt that other approaches are possible, but as a starting point HIPP seems right to me...

advertisement

Back