advertisement

which arm on an lp12...ittok or Alphason HR100mcs?

karma67

pfm Member
ive got upgrade fever again and have the chance to buy an HR100mcs,whats the general view on these arms compared to an Ittok which im currently using?
Is it a sideways move?
cheers

Around 1988 I owned a LP12 with a black ittok and also on with a HR100mcs personally I loves the alphason to my ears it just sounded less mechanical than the ittok more musical. The overall presentation was just more natural. The alphason was a very good match for the LP12.

If the Alphason HR100S is in good order then it's a no brainer. It is still a highly capable arm and justifiably sought after to this day.

I believe J7 at Audio Origami can service them too. There's few (if anyone) with the skills and knowledge of J7 when it comes to arms.

Which kind of beat me to the punch. The Alphason is indeed a superb arm and the comparative description above exactly miirrors my own experience.

I was going to say that IMU servicing the Alphason might be an issue, so it's good to hear that AO can do so.

Also, a nice Ittok can realise a decent chunk of wonga. My very near mint, very late Ittok LVIIIMk2 in a newly purchased Linn box went for a smidgeon under £800 on eBay.

Mull

thanks for the comments,my only concern at the moment is the cable dressing on the alphason,it seems it comes straight out with no 90 degree bend,i used a mission 774 before the ittok and that was the same,i had a nightmare trying to dress the cable and that was the main reason i sold it and bought an ittok.

I've used an Alphason Xenon with the MCS cable on an LP12 with no issue. I don't recall if I tied the cable back to the pillar or just curved it round, regardless it worked.

I'd jump at the arm if it is a decent price, then see how it goes. The bit you lose over the Linn arm is the easy manual cuing and it's all a bit more agricultural. So I'd not burn my boats until I was certain.

Paul

ive given it a lot of thought and decided its too much money for not a big step forward,i think id be better off getting the ittok re-wired and a new outer cable.
thank you for all the advice :)

advertisement

Back