Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Which albums to you go back to most often?

Discussion in 'music' started by Del monaco, Oct 23, 2021.

1. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

Everybody knows this nowhere
    Highway to Hell
    Rainbow in Curved Air
    Djangologie 5 1937
    The Freewheelin'

2. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

Rem\new adventures in hifi the last real hurrah before bill Berry left. Most eclectic album they made.
    Talk talk/colour of spring Or any talk talk album, such a sad early loss.
    Beatles/white album. Had to be this or ‘help’
    Miles Davis/ sketches of Spain. No other record is this evocative, wow. I can smell the olive groves.
    Judy Tzuke/welcome to the cruise Tugs at my heart, makes me cry. Makes me feel 17 again.

alan967tiger likes this.
  3. smike

smike pfm Member

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden is delightful. Very dreamy and ethereal. Love it.

4. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Funny, I’ve had The Sensual World CD for 30 years and never managed to listen to it. I didn’t like what Ms Bush’s voice had become. HOL not much better to these ears. Both disappointing albums!
    I listen to all her other albums very often with great pleasure.

The Joshua Tree: nice songs but a very badly recorded CD, almost unlistenable.

The Colour of Spring is played regularly.

Propaganda, A Secret Wish.

5. herb

herb music live

Mingus Mingus Dynasty
    Coltrane Expression
    Monk Monk
    Shostakovich Symphony 5 Barshai
    Bach Harpsichord Concertos Pinnock

albireo and chartz like this.
  6. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

The later remaster is much better, but still not great.

7. Andy1912

Andy1912 pfm Member

Probably these are the ones I keep going back to most on my turntable at least (not most played on streaming though)

Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
    Blue Nile: Walk Across the Rooftops
    Grace Jones: Nightclubbing
    Nick Drake: Pink Moon
    John Martyn: Solid Air
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds: Boatman's Call

Mostly fairly mellow and well produced. As I said, streaming is much more eclectic and not really album focused.....

alan967tiger, Frizzy and Weekender like this.
  8. dadgad

dadgad pfm Member

Well, I thought about putting down my five 'favourite albums' here along with some witty and insightful comments on why everyone should agree with my taste. But I remembered my scientific training and decided to get some objective data. A quick look at the 'most played' stats on my music server, reveals the five albums that I have actually played the most often:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. If I am suffering from sciatic or other back pain, I like to do some Pilates with this in the background. Can I get right through 'The Chain' on some difficult back stretches? I must have been quite stiff recently to be playing this so much!

Richard Thompson - Henry the Human Fly. While this is a great album, but at the moment I'm replaying it a lot because I'm trying to learn the guitar part on one of the songs. And its difficult, and I'm very slow...

Mozart Concerto for for Flute and Harp, Aurele Nicolet. Used as background music to breakout sessions when I'm running online training workshops - fits neatly into a 10 minute space.

Jacqueline Du Pre - Recital. An old LP that I digitised for some musician friends and this reminds me of them.

Dinosaur Songs - Maria Bostick. Children songs about Dinosaurs sung in Boogie-Woogie and Doo-Wop style. Infuriatingly catchy. Slightly embarrassing to see this quite so high on the list as my children have long since grown-up. I must have been making copies for nieces/nephews...

So who else is brave enough to actually list their 'five most played'?

chartz likes this.
  9. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Rumours here too. :)

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I thought that was the OP’s purpose of the thread.

11. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Can you get iTunes to show play stats?

12. Nagraboy

Nagraboy How’d all these people get in my room?

According to Roon, my most played (digital) albums of all time are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If we included vinyl in the ranking, it might be quite a different set.

13. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I already have.

They're all on vinyl, so I can't use any stats, it's just that they always end up at the front of the queue. I probably play more CDs than LPs, but they're more of a mixture of classical, jazz and rock, and there's fewer that get repeated plays (apart from the HMHB albums of course, but I go on about them too much as it is).

14. dadgad

dadgad pfm Member

That looks a nice selection, I must have a listen to some of them.

15. Nagraboy

Nagraboy How’d all these people get in my room?

The lute music is lovely, especially if you have a low listening fatigue system.

Try the first track from the Sun Kil Moon album, quite amusing lyrics. Don’t think I’ve played it in over a year but it’s still in the top 5 as I played it non-stop when it came out.

16. dadgad

dadgad pfm Member

What was interesting to me is that the albums that I thought I played the most, weren't the ones that I actually played according to the server. I have a somewhat smaller vinyl collection and I'll have to think about which albums I actually play the most from them.

17. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

The original LP is okay, not the best but not the worst , still a great album

tiggers likes this.
  18. The Doors - The Doors & LA Woman
    Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
    Paul Weller - At The BBC
    Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
    Ray Lamontagne - Monovision & God Willing The Creek Don't Rise (with the Pariah Dogs)

Cheers BB

19. Chris

Chris pfm Member

Night Club - Patricia Barber
    Portrait in Jazz - Bill Evans
    Halfbreed - Keef Hartley
    To the limits - Joan Armatrading
    Kamakiriad - Donald Fagen
    2nd Crusade - Crusaders

Boring sod

20. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

I keep going back to these (Aged 12 - 16 1970 - 74)

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Roxy Music - First
    Steely Dan - Can’t Buy a Thrill
    Frank Zappa - Overnite Sensation
    Van Morrison - It’s Too Late to Stop Now.