advertisement

Which albums to you go back to most often?

Veedon Fleece, What's Goin' On, Peace Beyond Passion (Meshell Ndegeocello), On The Go (Matthew Halsall), Strange Place for Snow (EST), Lewis Taylor (Lewis Taylor), Grace (Jeff Buckley), Marc Hollis.

Veedon Fleece, What's Goin' On, Peace Beyond Passion (Meshell Ndegeocello), On The Go (Matthew Halsall), Strange Place for Snow (EST), Lewis Taylor (Lewis Taylor), Grace (Jeff Buckley), Marc Hollis.
Two of my faves in there.The Hollis and the Buckley. I also liked some of his fathers music, especially Song for the Siren, recorded memorably by the (edit.This Mortal Coil)years later.

Last edited:
Two of my faves in there.The Hollis and the Buckley. I also liked some of his fathers music, especially Song for the Siren, recorded memorably by the Cocteau Twins years later.
That is a stunning track and yes, Jeff has great genes!

My top 5 albums of all time which I still play to death.

Spacemen 3 - Perfect Prescription. This is my favourite album of all time, exactly as the title, absolutely perfect!

Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies. Spiritualized first album and best in my view. Jason standing on his own 2 feet after the break down of Spacemen 3.

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything. You could almost lean in to the sound live it was so loud and intense.

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy. What can I say, just amazing!

Stereolab - Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements. Stereolab at their best.

This is actually quite hard and should maybe be read as part stuff I test a system change with, part stuff I pull if I really can’t decide what to play. Probably 80% of my listening is new stuff, there is always a big pile of newish vinyl and CDs that haven’t even been filed, and that tends to be where I live. At the moment it includes a lot of the new That London and elsewhere jazz scene etc, but obviously none of that is applicable here as it is far too new. Anyway:

Bartok - String Quartets.
Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew (and all the rest, obvs).
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up.
Bill Evans - Complete Live At The Village Vanguard.
John Coltrane - Complete Live At The Village Vanguard.
Can - Tago Mago.
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark.
Kraftwerk- TEE & Computer World.
Steely Dan - Aja/Gaucho/Donald Fagen - Nightfly.
Magazine - Real Life.
Au Pairs - Playing With A Different Sex.
UB40 - Signing Off.
Durutti Column - LC.
The The - Soul Mining.
Leftfield - Leftism.
Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas.
Lambchop - Is A Woman.
Sufjan Stevens - Michigan, Illinois (and more recently The Ascension, but that is probably too new to count here really).

Leonard Cohen Songs of… poetry with lashing of dry humour.
Hot Rats Zappa … First album I bought fifty years ago and still play it often (third copy)
Britten Violin Concerto …. It’s energy and creativity.
Faure’s Requiem … sadness beautifully rendered.
Stravinsky Firebird … wildly pagan for when one is feeling a little like throwing away the bowler hat and picking up a spear!

Rory Gallagher- Self Titled.
His first album after the break up of Taste. Beautifully recorded and exquisite guitar playing.
Deep Purple- Made in Japan
Recorded for pennies, not a weak moment and the Porky vinyl cut is sonic bliss. When I listen to how well this near 50 year old recording sounds, it begs the question, where did it all go wrong, when listening to so many modern rock recordings.
Jeff Buckley- Grace. What an incredible album, particularly considering it is a debut. An emotional roller coaster, so much so that I often take it off, shortly after putting it on, as it requires me to be in a particular mood. That alone tell how strong a recording it is.
Steely Dan- Aja. Have a number of copies of this album, but the Hoffman mastered CD copy I have is tremendous. Dan were masters of getting the very best sonics out of a studio and in this respect Aja is as good as it gets.
Led Zeppelin - 1.
Recorded in 30 hours and it is mind-blowing. Enough said.

Not necessarily my favourite albums, but albums that are on constant rotation ever since they came out…

Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Throwing Muses - Real Ramona
Smog - A River Ain't Too Much to Love
Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
Breeders - Pod
The La’s
Kate Bush - Aerial
The Wonderstuff - 8 legged Groove Machine/Hup
Michael Head and the Strands - Magical…
Jim Morrison - An American Prayer
The Who - Who Are You?

Now that is an album I haven’t played since the 1990’s.

I used to get lost in those sounds. mesmerising.
I often play the Gyuto Monks album when practicing restorative (aka yin) yoga, generally on Sunday afternoon. 4 or 5 poses in 45-60 minutes - ideal for the less young among us :)

The ones I can listen to over and over are:

The Velvet Underground and Nico
The Velvet Underground (3rd album)
Half Man Half Biscuit: This Leaden Pall
Neil Young: Tonight’s The Night
Steely Dan: Countdown to Ecstasy

Three of these albums have black and white covers.

I sometimes ask myself ‘if all your CDs were in a stack with the last-played one put back on top, which would spend most near the head of the stack?’ which I guess is the same question. My answer right now would be

Hejira (greatest record ever, even though ‘greatest records ever’ is a different category and would have some Beatles and Mingus in it)
The Dan (like Dr H I used to favour Countdown to Ecstasy, but nowadays it could be any of their first five)
We’re Only In It For The Money (never, ever loses its edge, and Flower Punk is still hilarious)
Bill Frisell - East/West (particularly East, with Shenandoah and Hard Rain being ridiculously moving for me)
Pixies - Bossanova (no better record to yell along with.)

I often play the Gyuto Monks album when practicing restorative (aka yin) yoga, generally on Sunday afternoon. 4 or 5 poses in 45-60 minutes - ideal for the less young among us :)

Ahh, I got into this album when going through a Zen phase. Lots of chanting and conscious breathing. Early 90’s in my first hospice post. Had to do something to get my head fixed.

Don’t they play bones on that album? (from memory) I love that double tone drone sound they make at the back of the throat, I find it easy to copy, winds up The Wife ;)

Hmm now this changes over time but at present

Xavier Rudd - Live in the Netherlands
William Fitzsimmons - Gold in the shadow
Stravinsky - Rite of Spring; Firebird Suite
Michael Van Merwyk - Fight for darkness
Arve Henriksen - Cartography
Dhafer Youssef - Sounds of mirrors

ok so I can’t count :D

advertisement

Back